Author Topic: Kato Futures  (Read 5818 times)

ljudice

Kato Futures
« on: August 30, 2007, 11:45:44 AM »
Is the stuff on the "poster" the ONLY stuff Kato is doing now?  Are they back to announcing 6 months out or should we expect more "new roadnumbers" and or surprises????

Anyone question them about AC4400's with Steerable Trucks??

thanks,
ljj

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
Re: Kato Futures
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 11:53:39 AM »
You dare to question the almighty Kato?

All will be revealed by the great Kato in perfection as always!

(my guess is that they will continue to re-issue non-coveted locos in UP, ATSF, SP, etc) on a spot basis)

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +583
    • My train pics
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 04:55:14 PM »
I wish they'd do an SD75I. My Athearn one's are too occupied holding open doors and weighting down paper to do much else.

But you know, you really can't have enough BNSF SD40-2's, SP and CP AC4400's now can you?

You are correct, Kato's wisdom is not to be questioned... I just wonder what they heck the great green father is thinking at times.

bobcat

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 06:12:25 PM »
I bet the poster shows new future projects to come in 2008 but they will keep releasing previous items monthly, just with new numbers.

nscalesteve

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 06:16:30 PM »
Anyone question them about AC4400's with Steerable Trucks??

...what are steerable trucks ? what's wrong with the one on my CP Rail engine ?

ljudice

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 09:51:35 PM »
steve, I can't see - are those steerable trucks on there and where did you get them?

jlong

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 11:06:48 PM »
There is still a lot of Kato from the past couple years on dealer's shelves. Due to higher Japaneese labor rates, I think they only do what they think they can sell a lot of which is popular engines with popular roadnames.

nscalesteve

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 12:31:08 AM »
steve, I can't see - are those steerable trucks on there and where did you get them?

this is a better picture...

http://www.steve4painting.com/images/ac44.jpg
(pre-production sample shown...)

bobcat

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 12:32:34 AM »
There is still a lot of Kato from the past couple years on dealer's shelves. Due to higher Japaneese labor rates, I think they only do what they think they can sell a lot of which is popular engines with popular roadnames.

I don't know, every time I see a dealer with a large inventory of Kato stuff, I see them trying to sell them at full retail. I understand overhead and all, but they aren't making money if it is sitting on their shelves.

ljudice

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 01:20:34 AM »
So what is the deal with those steerable trucks?????

I found something in German on one of the Euro forums about US-Proot modelling talking about some sort of kit or 1:1 exchange for hi-ad trucks for the steerables...

Come on Steve, "the truth is out there"!!!!    ;D
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 09:54:29 AM by ljudice »

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 09:15:41 AM »

I don't know, every time I see a dealer with a large inventory of Kato stuff, I see them trying to sell them at full retail. I understand overhead and all, but they aren't making money if it is sitting on their shelves.

MBK has a bunch of Kato.

bobcat

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 10:44:09 AM »
I'm sure MBK has a load of Kato, but they're not your typical hobby shop either. I know Trainland has a lot of Kato, but if you really look at the inventory, it is constantly changing.

I'm referring to the shops, like the one near to me, who still has C30-7s in his case @ $99.

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 10:50:41 AM »
I'm sure MBK has a load of Kato, but they're not your typical hobby shop either. I know Trainland has a lot of Kato, but if you really look at the inventory, it is constantly changing.

I'm referring to the shops, like the one near to me, who still has C30-7s in his case @ $99.

Hehe. Nice. 8)

fieromike

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 01:20:12 PM »

I suspect that is one of the shops that will go belly up while complaining that the hobby is dying.

Mike

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8035
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2007, 01:40:09 PM »
And then we can score those hot C30-7s at firesale prices.

Bad for the hobby, bad for the industry, but good for my wallet. Hmmm...