Author Topic: larger scale structures  (Read 1990 times)

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
larger scale structures
« on: August 23, 2007, 08:43:57 AM »
I always had a hard time with structures in n scale, mainly due to the hassle of having to un-warp plastic - it just wasn't fun for me.  But I decided to buy the small O scale 1930's style gas station from Banta Model Works.  And you know what?  I think I'll really enjoy structure building in O scale.  I think the wood construction and the bigger scale makes a huge difference.

The problem is now the cost and size :-\

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
Re: larger scale structures
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 09:14:32 AM »
There is always scratchbuilding  ;) Build them just like the real thing only smaller. Some craftsmen type kits are just a packet of strip wood and scale drawings.

3rdrail

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 09:39:43 AM »
The problem with every O scale structure kit I've seen advertised is that it is no more that a caricature of a building - stores smaller than a bedroom, factories the size of a two-bedroom house, a power plant that could light three homes, etc.

There are loads of fine wood kits available in N scale, and mostly they are NOT "selectively compressed". Look at the American Model Builders' LaserKit line, for example.

Erik W

• Crew
  • Respect: +715
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 04:17:57 PM »
The problem with every O scale structure kit I've seen advertised is that it is no more that a caricature of a building - stores smaller than a bedroom, factories the size of a two-bedroom house, a power plant that could light three homes, etc.

I agree.  When I started kicking around the idea of a future narrow gauge layout I gravitated towards Sn3.  Looking at scale sized stuctures was something that made me downsize the concept a bit to HOn3.  Plus, at that size there are many more detail parts both for buildings and rolling stock than their are in the other scales.  Having been in N scale from day one, I have to say HO buildings look huge to me though.

The On30 craze is interesting.  The locos, rolling stock and structures are generally all almost caricatures of the real thing or at least based on small prototypes.  Not my cup of tea personally but I admire some of the modeling I've seen in On30.

Erik