Author Topic: Sunrise Details, mostly gone but not forgotten, a new project  (Read 3922 times)

bsoplinger

Re: Sunrise Details, mostly gone but not forgotten, a new project
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2007, 09:52:37 PM »
Sunrise made a hood-mounted bell, part #358 that I would definitely purchase. I think you've got a good idea going here.

They also used to make a closed pilot for the Arnold S-2. You'd sell a PILE of them, I'd bet.

For the bell, what about the SD-24 hood mounted bell (from the Southern units I believe) from the Atlas units? I know its available as a part from them.

As far as the S-2 pilot, I got the last 3 sets he had cast last summer. I still have at least 1 unused set of these I can add into the mix of things being made.

bsoplinger

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2007, 09:57:54 PM »
There is little benifit to resin casting over white metal casting. Go with pewter parts. They look better and add weight plus you can charge a premium for them. They also hold fine detail better.

As I said, it isn't my intention of making a business out of this, nor of making 'new' masters, I just want make it simple and just use existing parts from companies that aren't around yet. So the "charge a premium" doesn't apply, after all, I'm stealing their work to make these.

And for that reason, I don't plan of buying a spin casting machine, so I won't be making pewter parts. Just simple rubber mold and resin casting. Which most likely means that horns are out, too fine and too many voids for a simple mold. But I'll give it a try on some of the horns I have here that aren't made by JnJ nor Miniatures by Eric and let folks know how it goes.

I'll let the thread go on for a few days, then put up pics of the bits I plan on doing and then others can add in anything they'd like to add to the pot.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +529
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2007, 10:06:33 PM »
Sunrise made a hood-mounted bell, part #358 that I would definitely purchase. I think you've got a good idea going here.

They also used to make a closed pilot for the Arnold S-2. You'd sell a PILE of them, I'd bet.

For the bell, what about the SD-24 hood mounted bell (from the Southern units I believe) from the Atlas units? I know its available as a part from them.

The Southern SD24 Bell mount is different from the Sunrise 358 (N&W had both styles on their GP9/GP18s). The Atlas part is available (I have a bunch).

RS-27

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2007, 03:58:53 AM »
Atlas has a bunch of neat detail parts, the problem is finding out about them.  If you don't have the parts blowup for a particular model and they haven't posted the PDFs... and photos??? Hah.

There are the nose bell mounts, early GP/SD winterization hatches (SD24/26) (much cleaner than the pewter/distorted ones I bought). The GP 7/9 TT roof details have the steam generator vents that blow away both J&J and Sunrise. My last Atlas order included a dozen under sill bells from the SD35s for other engines.  Horns, plows ($.35 each, and a damned sight better than white metal), how about sunshades, MU cables?

Kato also has parts fairly cheaply (OK, not big stuff, but the small parts are reasonable, if you buy enough that the shipping isn't a deal breaker).

And remember, cutting apart shells can get cheap parts. One SD24 shell (about $3) gave me the large front fans for my 3 LV GP9/18s, the winterization hatches (3) ($.75? each) takes care of the rear fans on my Atlas GP9 conversions.

Bob in IDaho, who obviously has no connection with Atlas, other than spending $$ with them.