Author Topic: Carolina Central - and what should be covered in a project layout?  (Read 5975 times)

djsmeltzer

• Respect: +4
Re: Carolina Central - and what should be covered in a project layout?
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2007, 04:40:46 PM »
Probably my favorite project layout book is Lou Sassi's "A Realistic HO Layout for Beginners" because of the approach he took.  The layout is pretty simple, a 4x8 HO scale starter layout, but the projects around the layout were eye-opening for me.  He makes an HO bridge using N scale bridge parts, replaces some plastic ties with wooden ones, changes elevation on the sidings... all these crazy things you don't usually see in a beginner layout.

I must admit I've never seen the Clinchfield book, so I can't comment on that.  I can say I also liked "Mountain to Desert: Building the HO Scale Daneville and Donner River" but was disappointed by the lack of detail on many things.  I'd love to see some scratch building in the book, particularly of some modern style buildings like seen in the "Mountain to Desert" book (assuming the time period is appropriate).

Something else I'd like to see: lighting.  I want to see working street lights and how they were made and wired.  I wouldn't mind a primer on hand laid track.  Detailing projects would be wonderful. Anything that takes the layout from something that looks nice to something that looks lived-in, more real. 

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5399
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2007, 07:52:40 PM »
Welcome to the 'wire, DJ.  I too, liked the overall effect of Pelle Soeberg's mountain to desert thing, but was disappointed by the roundy roundy nature of the track plan.

There was a follow up article about scratch building the Denny's or something, but he used some laser cutting tool that you have to a Rockefeller to afford, and Mr. Wizard to operate.

Not exactly fodder for your average beginner.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

CVSNE

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2007, 08:50:15 PM »
Hey -- I know someone who has a laser engraver in his garage, so they are not soo expensive that you have to be Rockefeller . . . .

Reminds me of the article Kirk Reddie ran where some guy had a computer controlled CNC mill in order to make blister panel hoppers . .  .

Now, that's a serious tool . . .

Marty
Modeling (or attempting to model) the Central Vermont circa October 1954  . . .

nsauk

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2007, 11:35:15 PM »
Marty,

Having built the Carolina Central (based on you Kalmbach "book"), I have to say "thank you"  :) for getting me back into the hobby.  Picked that book up on a lark but read it cover-to-cover multiple times and fell in love with the hobby again.

The only suggestion I have is to show some alternatives to the track plan you decide to build for the actual project.  Using the CC as an example, I took your plan and modified it by switching to a 36 inch door, adding a third staging track, adding an extra siding or two into the middle, double-tracked the curve on the right, put the "front ends" of imagined "off layout" industries in each of the front corners and put a small yard between them in the front (yeah, I wanted more switching in case you couldn't tell).

Obviously there are infinite variations to any track plan but you could show just a few based on interest:

Looking for more switching?  Consider this...
Have a little more room?  Consider this...
A little squeezed for space?  Consider this...
Want more mainline ops?  Consider this...

You could also show (or discuss) variations based on era or scenery (e.g., desert vs. eastern forest).

If this book will be focused at all towards beginners or folks re-entering the hobby, this could be a nice feature.  I've found in life that there are plenty of people who need some help "thinking outside the box" and a couple variations could help them with their "vision."

Thanks for helping me re-discover a wonderful hobby and best of luck on your new project.

nsauk

CVSNE

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2007, 12:30:29 PM »
Thanks for the kind words on the Carolina Central -- glad to hear you found it inspiring.

Would be very interested in seeing what you've come up with -- so please post some photos or a trackplan.

I think a wider door is the best improvement -- I went with the only door in stock on the day I had to start construction, and the 9-3/4" radius curve at one end of the layout really impacted the type of equipment we were able to run over the layout.

And thanks for the suggestions on what to do with the next layout --

by way of an update the benchwork is just about finished and I'm spending some time today finalizing the track plan.

Marty
Modeling (or attempting to model) the Central Vermont circa October 1954  . . .