Author Topic: Yet Another PCM Delay!  (Read 13583 times)

gunner

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Re: Yet Another PCM Delay!
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2007, 04:33:05 AM »
Has it really been 4 years since they announced the "first N Scale locomotive with sound" and the H2a hoppers?  My how time drags when you are waiting on a pet project!

Bob

keystonecrossings

• Crew
    • Middle Division Musings
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2007, 09:36:30 AM »
Guys, some of you are indeed taking my comment a bit too far out of context.

My point is, PCM announced their entry into the N scale market about four years ago. The M1 was, I believe, the second model announced. It still has a "TBD" as an "ETA".

There have been loads of false excuses given to the consumers (we had to change factories, the dog chewed the plans, etc.).

In most manufacturing companies, such performance would lead to the door and a pink slip.
Jerry Britton, PRRT&HS #6111
PRR Middle Division in HO Scale - http://jbritton.pennsyrr.com
Keystone Crossings - http://pennsyrr.com

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +529
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2007, 09:58:26 AM »
The H2a was announced summer 2005. Subsequent to this (and the M1 I believe) they have announced and released several HO models, while these continue to languish.

keystonecrossings

• Crew
    • Middle Division Musings
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2007, 10:05:10 AM »
The H2a was announced summer 2005. Subsequent to this (and the M1 I believe) they have announced and released several HO models, while these continue to languish.

The M1 was absolutely, positively, before the H2a.

The E7 was first. The M1 was the second N scale model announced. However, the 1st HO model may have been announced in between... I don't recall precisely.
Jerry Britton, PRRT&HS #6111
PRR Middle Division in HO Scale - http://jbritton.pennsyrr.com
Keystone Crossings - http://pennsyrr.com

3rdrail

« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2007, 10:13:24 AM »
Hasn't it become clear to y'all by this time that all the hootin' and hollerin' in the world will not have any effect on when or even if PCM releases its models?

I've got my own opinion as to where the problems lie, but hashing it out on forums won't solve the problems.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +529
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2007, 12:14:27 PM »
I've got my own opinion as to where the problems lie, but hashing it out on forums won't solve the problems.

Consider it therapy.

inkaneer

« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2007, 01:19:10 PM »
I ordered my M1A's on August 3, 2005.  Still have my copy of the E mail order.  Of course it's a little yellowed now. 

ljudice

« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2007, 10:01:34 AM »
It would have been interesting if they had announced the AC6000 or SD40-2 (BLI HO models) instead... Do you think the pre-orders of these loco would have justified "rushing" into production???

My guess is yes...

3rdrail

« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2007, 10:47:21 AM »
It would have been interesting if they had announced the AC6000 or SD40-2 (BLI HO models) instead... Do you think the pre-orders of these loco would have justified "rushing" into production???

My guess is yes...

You forget that at the time potential models were limited to passenger cab units or steam with very large tenders due to the sound unit space requirements... The sound unit available in 2005 would not have fit in an AC6000 or an SD40-2.

Supposedly the further delays are due to another improvement in the sound unit. Yeah, and I've got a bridge across the East River for sale.  ;)

CVSNE

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2007, 03:54:52 PM »
Some companies take advantage of the fact that it would  be foolhardy to produce something that a competitor has already announced. So they announce everything under the sun (take a look at the HO models these guys have announced and haven't delivered on as further proof) --

The business model at work here seems to demand "sound" -- I suspect there is either a business issue at work here (they can't afford to start actual tooling yet) or they haven't figured out the engineering for the sound units.

Marty

Modeling (or attempting to model) the Central Vermont circa October 1954  . . .

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +996
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2007, 03:56:53 PM »
Somewhere, there is a series of Dilbert cartoons that can explain all of this...

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2078
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2007, 04:18:45 PM »
Somewhere, there is a series of Dilbert cartoons that can explain all of this...

The one that does it best , was / is delayed .

Richie Dost

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2007, 05:01:30 PM »
Some companies take advantage of the fact that it would  be foolhardy to produce something that a competitor has already announced. So they announce everything under the sun (take a look at the HO models these guys have announced and haven't delivered on as further proof) --
PC software
companies know this model too.   The bigger companies do this often.  Announce everything and put the industry on hold.  After a year or so start deveoping and if you run into snags drop the project quietly while denying everything you can....
Support fine modeling

TrainCat2

• Crew
  • I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
  • Respect: +799
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2007, 05:26:31 PM »
Hi All,
Been at our China plant and could not respond since my last post. I'm sorry, I thought that most of you would realize that it was my sarcastical humor about seeing the M1 at the NTS. Really sorry if I pumped up a few expectations. :'(

On a side note, a very interesting place. A nation of dichotomy. They want our money there, but not us.
Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

3rdrail

« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2007, 05:35:03 PM »

On a side note, a very interesting place. A nation of dichotomy. They want our money there, but not us.

It may be urban legend, but I have heard that the character in Mandarin for a foreigner (or any non-Chinese) is the identical one to that for "vermin".