Author Topic: Weekend Update 2007/08/12  (Read 6657 times)

Day One

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
Re: Weekend Update: 8/12/07
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2007, 11:02:58 PM »
As usual I spent this week all over the place in terms of what I was doing for train work.

I touched up a few spots of scenery around the layout but primarily spent my time working on decoders and loco's.

First off was my LL 2-8-8-2 sound install. I put a Lok Micro decoder in the tender a while back but wasn't able to get the unit to run on the layout except for on straights going back and forth because the wires I chose to use between the engine and tender were too stiff and would pry the tender off the tracks on curves. I finally found some small gauge flexible wire from Ngineering and rewired the thing. I've still got some work to do to get the tender shell sitting perfectly on the frame and loading all the sound files correctly for this engine but it's nice to finally have this unit running! It sounds good even with the wrong steam sounds!

I installed Decoders in 3 new loco's as well. 2 Kato BN SD40-2's and an Atlas BN SD60M. After the Decoders were installed I spent some time breaking them in and programing the decoders and speed matched the trio.

I had some Atlas GP40-2's that had decoders installed already and I spent a fair amount of time speed matching these 2 so they would run well together.

I've got to say, it's exciting times on my layout. The scenery is has an overall complete feel too it (tho it's rough and needs LOTS of details) and the engines and rolling stock are finally getting to the point where I can reliably run multiple trains. I just need to spend some time putting together an operating plan now.

Iain

• Crew
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +346
    • The Best Puppers
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2007, 05:27:22 PM »
I suppose I'll do the honors this week...  The wife and kids left for the beach yesterday (which in my mind is the height of absurdity since we only live an hour from the gal-dern place... why we spend hundreds to rent a beach house confounds me ???)

I can tell you why people that live at the beach do it:  to escape tourists.  I personally would rather hop on the boat, head out to Shack (Shackleford Banks, an island no one lives on), and surf out there away from the crowds of Atlantic Beach.
Thanks much,
Mairi Dulaney, RHCE
Member, Free Software Foundation and Norfolk Southern Historical Society

http://jdulaney.com

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2007, 05:51:53 PM »

I'd eat the candy, strip the car, and then paint/decal it. later, after i get better at weathering, i'd weather it.

Allentown Hump

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2007, 08:03:48 AM »
Better yet, eat the candy and put the wrappers back in the car, pack it up and put it in the NSC auction in Louisville next year...
A-Town Hump

"I believe the technical term for you would be 'a$$hat extraordinaire'."

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +584
    • My train pics
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2007, 08:22:51 AM »
N&W, eat the candy, load the car with portable toilets, then change the "PEZ" to read "PEE". Auction it as a mislettered car. Retire a wealthy man  ;D

inkaneer

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2007, 10:58:30 AM »

Lenny, did the Montreal N-Trak fold?
Yes the club has dissolved, the current premises are to vacated by August 31st.

In 2004 our club TRAINtrak [Three Rivers Associates In Ntrak] lostour home also.  We assumed it was the end but we have proved to be more resilient than we thought.  Now three years later we are have 113 members  down from the 28 that we had previously but we have lost very few of the people who actually do most of the work.  Now we are increasing our shows and coming up with new ideas.  Losing our home was not the death blow that we all thought.  Keep the club going as it is far easier than to start over again.

I've been trying to contact TRAINtrak for about two years now (I'm north of the city and looking for a club), but never get any responses. Ever. Who do I contact for info??

Now that summer is starting to wind down, I'm back to the layout. My progress this week was all with t-square and pencil, drawing up plans for my company houses. Tonight I'll probably run a track-cleaning "work train" a while, too.  ;D

We will be at Bedford for the Nscale Weekend.  If you are there stop by the layout and say HI.