Author Topic: Throwing Atlas Code 55 turnouts  (Read 2528 times)

CVSNE

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
Throwing Atlas Code 55 turnouts
« on: August 04, 2007, 09:19:45 PM »
Question time -- what have  proven to be the easiest to install (and cheapest, though that's not a huge issue) ways to throw the Atlas code 55 turnouts? Know about the new blue manual throw mechnisms, and of course Tortoises and Atlas' own switch machines.  I'd like to avoid Caboose Ground Throws. Has anyone managed to make a spring (like those on Peco) to throw these suckers -- or are slide switches the best option?

Thanks,

Marty
Modeling (or attempting to model) the Central Vermont circa October 1954  . . .

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
Re: Throwing Atlas Code 55 turnouts
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 09:31:42 PM »
This is what I use:

But I use RC car ball end links on the end of the throw rod. Slide switch also powers the frog.

diezmon

• Crew
  • Do they speak English in "What"?
  • Respect: +264
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 10:01:51 PM »
I'm using the wire-in-tube method.  Some folks use the RC aircraft cables run to a switch.  You can see how I'm throwing mine here:  http://therailwire.net/smf/index.php?topic=12762.msg107275#msg107275

I'm also using the switch for power routing, and lights.

To go even more simple, you could go with those caboose industries ground throws.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 10:06:09 PM »
Look at the “articles” section on my site. I'd give you a url, but I'm postingthis on a Wii.

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 10:12:28 PM »
I still have
much love for the Miniatronics slide switches hooked directly to the throwbar.  Not fancy but excellent for the feel of 'being there' to throw turnouts when switching.  Not so foam friendly unless you add a masonite plate to the bottom of the turnouts.  Disclaimer: I have not actually built a large layout with this method but it has been fine in a couple of switching modules so far...

Ed is a tool...
Support fine modeling

justTRAINcRaZy

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 04:44:51 PM »
Thanks for the tip on the groundthrows, Ed. I think I'll try it on my new layout. After trying several things, I am a fan of the groundthrow. I tried a fancy electrical panel with mini pushbuttons wired in red-green pairs, but was always having to orient myself on the panel and determine which button to press. With the groundthrow, you can paint one side and immediately tell which way the switch is aligned, even from a distance.

KB