Author Topic: Not much new, sworn to secrecy, or what?  (Read 9701 times)

pfs

• Crew
  • HPI 1975-?
  • Respect: +5
Re: Not much new, sworn to secrecy, or what?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2007, 09:27:01 PM »
To avoid reposting...I am posting what I have at this link:

http://www.trains.com/TRC/CS/forums/1179847/ShowPost.aspx#1179847

I am resizing and posting as I type....

I really should of shot Bobs stuff but I just looked/talked. Photos (w/my camera) would not do them justice anyway.

I did shoot 'most' of the new N guage releases.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2007, 11:31:33 AM »
Did anyone actually bag the Atlas 3 month catalog at the show?

Roger Holmes

• Crew
  • Respect: +580
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2007, 12:26:12 PM »
Does anyone else find it ironic that Kato and not BLI is making the Broadway Limited?  Of course it stands an infinitely better chance of actually coming to market it Kato announces it ;D
Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2098
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2007, 12:52:07 PM »
No sound is really needed on the GG1 , unless one wants the horn and bells .

Richie Dost

pfs

• Crew
  • HPI 1975-?
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2007, 01:38:29 PM »
Did anyone actually bag the Atlas 3 month catalog at the show?

I grabbed one, havent really looked at it yet.

ljudice

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2007, 02:44:02 PM »
It is now online at Atlasrr.com - click on "Catalog".

There is nothing new though - just the stuff leaked by Walthers last week.

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2007, 04:00:49 PM »
No sound is really needed on the GG1 , unless one wants the horn and bells .

Gotta have that Bzzzzzzt sound ..

umtrr-author

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2007, 10:30:30 AM »
I assume Richie has, but how many other of you GG1 "experts" actually heard one in action?

The only BLI item I will ever own is their HO GG-1 and the sound is dead on to what I remember-- some of my most precious childhood memories. 

To each his own, but let's stop the childish dissing of what you don't prefer.

"The Forum For Mockers..."  >:(

3rdrail

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2007, 10:52:49 AM »
I assume Richie has, but how many other of you GG1 "experts" actually heard one in action?

The only BLI item I will ever own is their HO GG-1 and the sound is dead on to what I remember-- some of my most precious childhood memories. 

Just what is your problem, smartmouth? Can't seem to recognize that someone can be serious about the hobby and still have a sense of humor?? Got news for you, I worked for the Pennsylvania Railroad, including two years in Baltimore, so I know damn well what a GG1 sounds like. The blowers were pretty noisy up close, but watch out on the main, because they were virtually silent at speed. They could really sneak up on you with a passenger train.

ljudice

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2007, 11:53:28 AM »
W O O O S H ! ! ! ! !

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2007, 01:09:28 PM »

I don't understand your problem here, George.  Just who is mocking who in this thread ???

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2007, 01:28:15 PM »

Just what is your problem, smartmouth? Can't seem to recognize that someone can be serious about the hobby and still have a sense of humor?? Got news for you, I worked for the Pennsylvania Railroad, including two years in Baltimore, so I know damn well what a GG1 sounds like. The blowers were pretty noisy up close, but watch out on the main, because they were virtually silent at speed. They could really sneak up on you with a passenger train.

For several years I worked a half-block from the Princeton Junction train station, and I spent every lunch hour on the platform watching the last of the GG1s proudly trekking up and down the Northeast Corridor. You never heard a thing until one was less than a hundred yards from you (if you were standing on the tracks, it'd be too late to move); then, a roar of wind noise. That was it. The ones stopping at the station were even quieter, save for some brake squeal once in a while. Taking off, there was a faint whir and a bit of gear noise, but other than the horn, nothing worthy of reproducing in an N scale model, IMO.

I'll never forget, the saddest day was when I arrived at the station just in time to see a dozen GG1s being hauled off to their graves by an E44 (which was probably also doomed). Pantographs lowered, running about 30 mph, they seemed like a string of elephants destined to surrender their tusks. I took loads of photographs, but regrettably they were all destroyed.

Edit: Nice photo, ljudice. Brings back more than a few memories.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 01:40:20 PM by dks2855 »

ljudice

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2007, 01:38:13 PM »
I grew up in New York City - but I have many memories of the GG1 too...

I guess I was around 11-12 when the Metroliners started running. My sister took me for a day trip to D.C. south on the Metroliner (at the time non-stop) - and then back home on one of the conventional trains. Will never forget - the only time I've eaten in a real dining car.

My grandparents lived in Manasquan on the Jersey Shore - so I had many opportunities to travel south to visit them and back by train. The highlight was being sure to stay in the first car so the engine change at South Amboy could be seen. I often remember walking up to see the GG-1's on the platform before boarding or after boarding and one time was shown around in the cab. I remember lots of humming and hissing, but not much more.

One time - when I was around 16 - I took the train to my grandparents - but stopped off in Metuchen (I believe) for a couple of hours and took dozens of slides - yes I still have them and I will get them transfered to digital as soon as I round them all up.  This was in the Amtrak era, but I also remember a dusty set of three G's pulling a freight train through.

The real issue here (if you saw my post last week at Atlas) is that I ripped down my layout to it's 17x23' benchwork - last month. I was bored and needed a new direction. Now I am wondering if that direction should be PC in 1970 - before Amtrak and when (I think) a fair amount of PRR stuff was still floating around.

Would it be insane to model the NEC - my childhood dream???

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2007, 01:42:05 PM »
Would it be insane to model the NEC - my childhood dream???

Absolutely not! Sounds like a perfectly non-boring challenge.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7958
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2007, 01:47:18 PM »
The NEC in 1970?

That'd be awesome beyond words.