Author Topic: A question for Z enthusiasts  (Read 2863 times)

qantaqa

A question for Z enthusiasts
« on: July 27, 2007, 12:44:08 PM »
Hi y'all... I'm new here; this being my first post...  I'm an N scaler (got started at the age of 6 when my bohemian uncle found a loop and 3 cars, no loco, in the trash, and he gave me the set... umm thanks) and am taking up the hobby again after a decade-long hiatus.  I'm basing my layout (stage I) on Atlas's Gulf Summit Lines Susquehanna Valley RR (the tablework and lower loops were built when I was 11ish, about 1990).  I have enough space that I plan to incorporate several "towns", tied in to GSLSVRR, and a much larger yard/staging area.  One of these "towns" will be Anacortes, WA (where I currently live), no specific time period, except 1986-1999 there was a narrow gauge passenger ride built by my friend Tommy Thompson, called "Anacortes Railway".  I think the difference between N and Z will allow me to reproduce this attraction in my layout, or close enough to pay proper homage to Mr. Thompson.

http://wasteam.railfan.net/ARR.html

Now for the question i promised: Has anyone seen a Z scale locomotive that somewhat resembles the Anacortes Railway #1?  I'm not really so good at scratchbuilding, weathering, or, well, anything but making trouble for myself...  but I will be trying.  As all model railroads, this is a LOOOONG term project, so no real rush (i'm still laying cork - 2 pieces down! - and planning where to branch off and tie in other sections of the grand layout). 

By the way, I hope I don't offend any "purists" out there by contemplating using Z on my N layout.  I haven't decided if it's gonna be incorporated into the rest of the "big plan" or a stand-alone piece.

Did I mention I am LOOSELY basing my first stage on the SVGSLRR...  I have loved the "busy-ness" of that plan for a loooong time, and have only begun learning how to draw my own track plans in the last 2 months or so.  Oh, and I've looked all over the 'net, and worn pages thin in the Walthers catalog..  the French State Ry. is pretty close to the passenger car look I hope to achieve.  I've looked at as many Z webpages as I could Google, as well as referenced links from here and other places, and have had limited success finding a loco that even resembles the one pictured on the link above.  I also welcome questions, comments (good or bad :-) ), suggestions or ideas.

Thanks! from another railroading Mann, far to the northwest.

Q (john mann) and the NQ&F Ry.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 09:36:57 PM by qantaqa »

Pomperaugrr

• Crew
  • Respect: +1197
Re: A question for Z enthusiasts
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 11:21:00 PM »
Thanks! from another railroading Mann, far to the northwest.

Q (john mann) and the NQ&F Ry.

Ahhhh, no wonder I hated algebra.  It is simple now.  "nn" = "z"     ;D :) ;) :D :P

qantaqa

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 12:49:44 AM »
I knew I'd joined the right site... y'all are talking about the Histeria Channel, joshin' the guy about only one 25y.o allowed, and at least a few of you here have heard about Frylock... yer as irreverent and corny as I....  ;-D

q
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 03:28:18 AM by qantaqa »

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 05:50:24 AM »
I don't know if it would be possible to make a forney in N to run on Z track, but they do make HO ones for running on N track:

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 07:17:50 AM »
I knew I'd joined the right site... y'all are talking about the Histeria Channel, joshin' the guy about only one 25y.o allowed, and at least a few of you here have heard about Frylock... yer as irreverent and corny as I....  ;-D

q

I think most of us here are under 40 - not the typical train forum.