Author Topic: N Scale Big Boy?  (Read 10522 times)

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
Re: N Scale Big Boy?
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2007, 11:44:12 AM »
I know that N&Ws Y-6s are out of production, Rivarossi/Rapido having bought the farm, but I would be extremely happy to see them reintroduced by whoever now owns the dies.

Rivarossi also did the Big Boy and Challenger - so why not a new Y6b by someone? :P

I am surprised you didn't say class A , or wasn't that special ?

heh context was locos done in the past being re-done. ;D

but yeah, put me down for an A! :P

Ryan87

• Crew
  • Stay thirsty my friend...
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2007, 11:40:46 PM »
Yes and yes .

[Mr Burns] Excellent [/Mr Burns]
Swimming in a sea of Action Red...

nscalesteve

« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2007, 11:59:19 PM »
but yeah, put me down for an A! :P

yeah, I would buy one too - not for running just to have one in the show case ! impressive engine !  ;D

gunner

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2007, 03:30:08 PM »
    To change the subject just a bit there was a recient release in expensive brass of DMIR Yellowstone locomotives, these came with a brass model of a Iron Range wood caboose. Now I already cannot rember the Importers name.

The brass M3/M4 was made for Benchmark/PBL by Boorim.  No more than 25 of each road number was ordered.  I have #224 on the layout right now, testing 20" and 22" radius curves that I had to install to support its operation.  #224 was unique in that it was wrecked while in lease operation to the DRGW on Fireclay loop in 1943 or 1944.  Yup, it is expensive! and it runs very well if you have very broad curves.

From my perspective, the introduction of of a Big Boy with a modern mechanism and electronics is welcome and might be a suitable platform for other locomotive releases and bashes.  While not on my list of must haves, I'll probably end up with one of these.  As with the Yellowstone, it's one of those models that are based on machines of historic significance.  The same with the Allegheny and the SP cabforward.  Unlike the Challenger which was used by the VRR (which I also model) and DRGW, I don't think that a second run of the Bigboy will sell as fast as the Challenger.  The first run will likely sellout.  I have been wrong before though.

The models that I have in the past bought in quantity are the LL 2-8-8-2's, I currently have all of the latest LL offerings on preorder.  I would buy any of the N&W steamers in quantity, in particular the class A and Y6.  I am also anxious to get my hands on the 0-8-0's coming out.  I already have a bunch of N&W steam loco decal sets on hand to properly decorate those too.  The manufacturer that makes these will get some serious cash from me!!!

Bob