Author Topic: Idea for layout in garage  (Read 1922 times)

soo

• Crew
  • Respect: +107
Idea for layout in garage
« on: July 18, 2007, 01:02:21 PM »
  Howdy all!!!!

I had posted this plan on other forums and have taken in thier replies.  Now I will see what ya'll have to say.

The drawing are done by Mike Collier. I can not  take credit for those. But the ideas are a joint venture between Mike and I.

A little backround..... Finally the land manager, gave me right to the complete garage, as before it was half or maybe even less. But I digress. Through E-mails and instant messaging Mike and I conversed and what you see here is the result.

The order is staging level bottom,,, then the second level,, then the top of course!!!!   614 pieces of flex and 140 turnouts, the track will be laid.  The Helices and staging take 332 pieces of flex, that leaves 282 pieces of cd 55 flex needed for visable trackage..

Some people say this is going to be a huge undertaking,,,,, rome was not built in a night,, that dome in that chapel was not done in a afternoon. LOL

AM I CRAZY!!!!!!!

Well here are the drawings, see anything you don't like,,, or could use a different idea,,, speak up.  The dimensions are 17' along the top wall,, 20'-6" down the side and 18' along the bottom.

I took some more measurments,, in real life,, I have a 20'-6" x 20'-6" square that I can have a layout in.

Ideas I have had,,,,, Maybe something like Chuck Hitchcock's Argentine industrial,, or maybe something like Barrow's CM&SF.

But this plan is making me feel warm and fuzzy all over,,, has great operations,  also has some great scenery possibilties also. I am slowly leaving the thought process of more track is the better. Plus scenery is cheaper,lol

So let's hear what ya'll think.....

Couple of questions,.,,,, what should be the distance between levels?? Also what is everyone's prefrence as to the height of the top level??

As you can tell that is the staging level in the pic below. I might just make it parralell the wall instead of going in the penisula.

Here we have the first level of ops, or the second level. How ever you look at it. I love how Mike has added working live interchanges and junctions. I think he has a special touch for that.

And last we have the top level,,, with what Mike and I call the M.O.A.E.,,,Mother of all elevators,,,,,,Suffice to say the yard at the bottom of the drawing will hold 140 plus covered hoppers.. After all the SOO owned a fleet of 66,000 covered hoppers.

So right now I need to get a storage shed for the back yard, so I get all non train related junk out of the garage!!! LOLOLOL ( insert favorite evil sinister laugh)

Any input,,, and offers to help would be great!!!LMAOOOOOOOO

Adios Wyatt

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
Re: Idea for layout in garage
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 03:09:34 PM »
Looks nice.

Live interchanges are good. I don't know when I'll be able to build a layout someday, but interchange traffic will be very important when I build my Algoma Central. A lot of steel, paper, lumber and woodchip traffic was interchanged, and there was also a little bit of CN bridge traffic.

amato1969

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 10:23:25 PM »
Holy cow -- that's a ton of layout.  It would be a blast to operate!  I trust you have a crew to help with the construction???

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 12:06:53 PM »
Why not just use the outbuilding you're going to install for the layout, and leave the junk in the garage?
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

soo

• Crew
  • Respect: +107
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 05:13:23 PM »
The building is just going to big enough for storage and not for the trains.

As for a crew to build,, there is just me, no one around here to help, or willing to help.

I plan on starting the staging benchwork next week,,,,,,, Back to work tomorrow for 3 12 hour shirts this weekend.

Adios Wyatt

Wlal13again

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 05:17:45 PM »
Wyatt, Does the wife know you`re aking over the garage???

Rich
You`ll never find a Philly cheese steak on a menu in Philadelphia. It`s called a cheesesteak and we all know where it`s from...