Author Topic: So what will Kato do now ?  (Read 19947 times)

ljudice

Re: So what will Kato do now ?
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2007, 04:49:48 PM »
Wait a minute - they already do - the MAXI-IV's...

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2007, 05:15:58 PM »
Oh BTW, can you say articulated?  Kato can and will........

DOBBS

brokemoto

• Crew
  • Respect: +182
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2007, 10:27:35 AM »
[
...because they are hopefully busy with SD70ACe and some other modern stuff - hopefully !
it is enough if two manufacturer like LifeLike and Athearn are producing steam engines - we do not need more steam - or are you all building museums and memorials on your layouts ? 

Marry, sirrah, I humbly beg your pardon, but it doth appear to me that you have it reversed.  We have far too many modern diseasels and not enough decently operating small to average sized steam locomotives.  Athearn and LL have focuxed on large steam locomotives, of late.  Yes, Athearn does offer the old MDC line, and they are good locomotives, but they are nineteenth century power.  I have a few for my small nineteenth century pike and even a few on my transition era pike; those would be 'updated' moguls.

LL has issued a 2-8-8-2 and a berkshire.  Athearn has issued a 4-6-6-4 and has announced a  4-8-8-4.  Those are good for N-TRAK and for those who have basement empires, but they do not do much for most home pikes.  True, WKW (ex-LL) has announced a USRA 0-8-0, and that does fill a rather noticeable gap, but N scale still lacks a decently operating, smaller passenger locomotive.  The MP pacific is full of problems and the eight-wheeler, while an improvement, still has its weaknesses.  There is no atlantic and no decently operating pacific.  On many roads, the pacific represented the zenith of passenger power development.  Why N scale still lacks one that operates decently is a mystery to me.

The gaps that are out there in small N scale steam are:

prairie
Atlantic
ten-wheeler
twelve wheeler
pacific

You could add a mogul, as that gap only has what might be described as  'temporary plugs'.  The Athearn MDC mogul has sixty three inch drivers and it lends itself well to updating.  There are complaints that it has a tender drive and that the tender appears to be on stilts, but it operates well.  The MP mogul actually operates well, but, only if you put a Kato or Bachpersonn SPECTRUM USRA Standard tender behind it.  Those tenders are all wheels live; try to find either.  Kato is sold out.  B-mann will send you one if they have any that they can pull from returned SPECTRUM locomotives.  That makes it hit-or-miss.  Another possibility might be to buy a Kato caboose and hardwire it to the MP mogul and run it as a 'safety caboose'.

Some may be building museums on their pikes, but there are those of us who actually like to model steam locomotives in revenue service.  Huge autoracks, TopGons, well cars, SD-103biGmaCAtTacKs,
GP-47-abcdefgdashsixteens, BqSR-38s are what some people want, I understand that, but they do not do much for others of us.  For some of us, nothing, but nothing says RAILROAD like a steam locomotive.

Many of us chose N scale because of  limited space.  We can not run hudsons, berkshires and articulateds, they look rather silly pulling a dozen or so freight cars or one or two passenger cars and an express car.  Prairies, ten-wheelers and even pacifics look allright doing that, though.

Sad thing about the first runs of the LL 2-8-4, though, is that it will not pull more than eight emptycars and a caboose, all on MT or AccuMate trucks, up a one-per-cent grade.  Supposedly, WKW has addressed that in subsequent runs.  Perhaps someone can confirm or deny.

A USRA heavy pacific would be a logical extension of Kato's USRA heavy mikado.  They are pretty close, perhaps a few lines on a computer altered would produce one?

NYC1956

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2007, 05:07:00 PM »
Sad thing about the first runs of the LL 2-8-4, though, is that it will not pull more than eight emptycars and a caboose, all on MT or AccuMate trucks, up a one-per-cent grade.  Supposedly, WKW has addressed that in subsequent runs.  Perhaps someone can confirm or deny.

Still no traction tires on the LL 2-8-4.
And, yes, I could use Pacifics and Ten-wheelers.
Modeling the NYC of the early 1950s

Boiler-man

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2007, 09:40:33 PM »
I thought that I read some were that all New LL 2-8-8-2's and the Berks were going to have Traction tires on one set of drivers.
Has that not materialized on the new runs ????

Chulvis

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +5
    • http://www.featherrivertrains.com
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2007, 11:34:53 PM »
Whatever the new stuff from Kato will be, we should know about if next week. Their dealer newsletter said they would have a new announcement at the NMRA.

I'm with BobDobbs...a Daylight set of some sort, however the Eastern fans will not go alone. Something will be forth coming for you as well.

SecretWeapon

• Crew
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2007, 11:42:53 PM »
I hope so.
Mike

GGW

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2007, 12:44:45 AM »

They could start with a 1950, a Zulu, or an E-27; I don't look for any of them but it would be a good starting place; should they consider something in the internal combustion mode there are RSD7/RSD15s or SW1500s.

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2007, 10:23:10 AM »
I thought that I read some were that all New LL 2-8-8-2's and the Berks were going to have Traction tires on one set of drivers.

True that the Y3 new run will have TT's - it aint out yet.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2007, 11:36:44 AM »
I keep hoping for an MP36. Athearn's got the CalTrain bilevels to go with it, so they would be the obvious one to make this loco, but I'd "settle" for a Kato model.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2007, 02:53:46 PM »

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2007, 03:09:42 PM »
Oh goodie,  another GS4...

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2007, 03:16:35 PM »
How many reservations does Kato need to build that?

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2007, 03:21:17 PM »
No need to worry, Mr. Wallet.  It's not for you!
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1242
    • Modutrak
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2007, 03:26:25 PM »
Oh goodie,  another GS4...

My sentiments exactly.  Just do the cars, re-run the PA's, and let ConCor sell a couple more of their own GS-4's. 

Will be interesting to see how sales go compared to the CZ and Super Chief.