Author Topic: New eBay search is useless  (Read 1782 times)

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2078
New eBay search is useless
« on: July 18, 2007, 06:44:21 PM »
I have N scale/brass booked marked on my desktop . I used to be able to change the word "brass" for another word or words and do another search while being left in N scale . I can't do that anymore it appears . You guys have issues as well , or am I not doing something right ?

Nevermind , I tried x'ing the brass box out then typing the new search word in the lower right of that upper section  and it worked . I still like the old way better
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 06:48:04 PM by up1950s »

Richie Dost

umtrr-author

Re: New eBay search is useless
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 09:47:24 PM »
I was on that Internet Auction Community late one night last week and got some sort of "new version" of their standard listings.  The listings were compressed into less screen space, leaving room for more promotional material (including larger emphasis on what listings "prefer PayPal"-- no surprise there). 

Clicking on individual listings often timed out with the useless "Error - Please try again from the Home Page" message.  Searches didn't work at all (which is my point here).  Also, the categories were rearranged and there were price ranges added.

If this was a glimpse of the future, it didn't last long... the next time I was back on the site, the more familiar listing format was in place.

3rdrail

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 09:58:50 PM »
In a column on the left for the N scale listings there is a listing of major manufacturers and the number of items listed. Included in that list is "brass imports", which I usually check. Everything's gone out of my price range before I'd consider bidding so far...

Nelson

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 06:13:01 PM »
Richie, You may be the victim of ebay's random testing. They randomly select members and try out their new ideas on them without bothering to ask if they are interested.

Pull up your search results and look at the bottom of that page and and see if it says:

"You are currently testing eBay's new search experience. If you prefer, you can opt out of the test."

click on the blue "opt out" and you will go back to the old method.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2078
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 07:08:38 PM »
Richie, You may be the victim of ebay's random testing. They randomly select members and try out their new ideas on them without bothering to ask if they are interested.

Pull up your search results and look at the bottom of that page and and see if it says:

"You are currently testing eBay's new search experience. If you prefer, you can opt out of the test."

click on the blue "opt out" and you will go back to the old method.

You may be correct . I was searching for a replacement camera and because that weird eBay was balking so badly , similar to what umtrr-author 
said , I decided I didn't want to risk it , and ordered one via Amazon . I have since noticed that I have the old reliable eBay back . I will in the future , certainly look for that note as you explained , should I be so blessed to be a Guinna Pig once more . Thanks for that info . 

Richie Dost