Author Topic: N Scale Big Boy?  (Read 8138 times)

Chulvis

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +5
    • http://www.featherrivertrains.com
N Scale Big Boy?
« on: July 16, 2007, 07:29:57 PM »
I have just received word that Athearn will announce an N Scale Big Boy for delivery in December/January....I don't any further details as of yet.

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +795
Re: N Scale Big Boy?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 08:00:01 PM »
Sweet ..

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +2156
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 08:27:53 PM »
*Yawn*

Haven't they beaten that engine to death with models?  When do we get a new K-4, or a heavy mountain type?

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

tokenbrit

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 08:39:10 PM »
Athearn will announce an N Scale Big Boy for delivery in December/January...
Dec/Jan '07/'08 would be an ambitious timescale, or suggest they're already pretty far along with the project, if that's realistic...

Dec/Jan '08/'09 would be more in keeping with how long it took to release the Challenger, AND give me more time to save up ;)

Chulvis

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +5
    • http://www.featherrivertrains.com
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 08:52:46 PM »
Athearn will announce an N Scale Big Boy for delivery in December/January...
Dec/Jan '07/'08 would be an ambitious timescale, or suggest they're already pretty far along with the project, if that's realistic...

Dec/Jan '08/'09 would be more in keeping with how long it took to release the Challenger, AND give me more time to save up ;)

Well, let's not forget how long the Challenger was delayed. It's all hearsay at this point.

3rdrail

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 09:13:26 PM »
The fascination with a locomotive that numbered only 25 strong, and  was used on only two divisions of one railroad because it was too big to negotiate trackage on others, on the part of many modelers is incomprehensible to me. Furthermore, the C&O Allegheny, with four fewer drivers, weighed as much and developed more horsepower!

But, they'll probably sell a big bunch. Gives you an idea where the real market is, and it ain't folks for whom "Ride Height Matters"!  ;) ;D

UP_Phill

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 09:29:50 PM »
Hey Chuck, keep one for me please!

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +975
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 09:31:30 PM »
I will only get 1 if it is the same rod powered drivers as the Challenger . More if all drivers are geared .

GGW

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 09:54:14 PM »
I have just received word that Athearn will announce an N Scale Big Boy for delivery in December/January....I don't any further details as of yet.
WHOOPEE!!!!OH-HO-HO-HO!!!!WOW!!!!!HOO-HOO-HOO-HOO!!!!
This is indeed a dream come true!!!  A Big Boy!!! Oh, I thought this would never come about!!! A real live Big Boy!!!! Put me down for twenty-six of them!!! I want the whole fleet!!! Oh, yes!!! I will dream about this tonight!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!!

Who needs it???

Am I allowed to yawn alongside wm3798?  And 3rdrail has a much better idea for a much more needed articulated!!!

nscalesteve

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 10:31:45 PM »
bummer - now I HAVE TO buy a steam engine...   ;)
(Chuck, put me down for one as well...)

ljudice

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2007, 10:41:52 PM »
No, no, Chuck got it wrong!  Athearn is announcing an N-scale LITTLE BOY - an n-scale atomic bomb - instantly and completely cleans your train room and you start over!

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +975
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 12:45:52 AM »
WHOOPEE!!!!OH-HO-HO-HO!!!!WOW!!!!!HOO-HOO-HOO-HOO!!!!
This is indeed a dream come true!!!  A Big Boy!!! Oh, I thought this would never come about!!! A real live Big Boy!!!! Put me down for twenty-six of them!!! I want the whole fleet!!! Oh, yes!!! I will dream about this tonight!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!!

Who needs it???

Am I allowed to yawn alongside wm3798?  And 3rdrail has a much better idea for a much more needed articulated!!!

Lee , 3rdrail , and GGW
This , other than brass would be the first Big Boy that could run on scale rails . Long over do considering the following the loco has .

You know , I can never understand the hatred folks have when a new loco is produced . I would be happy for any new loco , even if it wasn't UP . I would vote for my choice , and express it in this thread , but refrain from raining on anybody else's parade , especially in the sophomoric way you did GGW . And while alternate wants are being expressed , a UP FEF-3 4-8-4 or SP AC-12 would have been wanted by me as well . I don't model the SP but it is an icon that deserves to be made and I would buy that in a flash .

biker_ray_pa

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 12:51:28 AM »
I too wonder why these are so popular in every scale. Just by virtue of size, I guess.

I also wonder why so many manufacturers take a shot at this locomotive, but they won't touch something like a Texas-type or an Atlantic or a Ten-Wheeler.

That said, though, I'd be first in line if they followed up the Big Boy with a DMIR Yellowstone.  ;D

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +3169
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2007, 02:52:35 AM »
I would think even a UP_modeler ;D would want many other UP steam before a big boy.

I'll take one if they paint it for the Chessie steam special  ;)

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +184
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 04:25:48 AM »
There's confirmation on another e-tailers website now about the Big Boy.....

(But I still recommend Chulvis  ;D)
James Costello
Espee into the 90's