Author Topic: NCR Industry List (in progress)  (Read 4907 times)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Has a degree in American History & Culture.
  • Respect: +2908
    • Conrail 1285
NCR Industry List (in progress)
« on: July 16, 2007, 12:27:51 AM »
In further trying to get a handle on what I'm going to be modeling, I've decided to start compiling a list of on-line industries. I've started at the north, these are all real industries that were located along the line and receiving service in 1993 (the date of my ZTS map).

I'm going to work on the Baltimore segment next, then start adding in "could'ves" while I try to flesh out more details about these real ones.

Here's the list: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pU_SuMCwxYUXwGB0NK7c3SQ

keystonecrossings

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • Middle Division Musings
Re: NCR Industry List (in progress)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 06:49:58 AM »
The Pennsy had a document called the CT 1000 "List of Stations and Sidings".

Conrail likely had a similar document. You might want to sign on to one of the Conrail lists and pose the question. You may very well find such a resource.
Jerry Britton, PRRT&HS #6111
PRR Middle Division in HO Scale - http://jbritton.pennsyrr.com
Keystone Crossings - http://pennsyrr.com

3rdrail

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 08:51:55 AM »
The Pennsylvania Railroad last updated its CT1000 on July 1, 1945. After that time the railroad no longer had enough clerical personnel to keep it up to date. There was no equivalent CR document, although CR did make a ZTS list, but it lacked mileages to establish exact locations.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +2144
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 09:03:50 AM »
I don't think there were any on-line shippers between Cockeysville and New Freedom.  You can check by riding your bicycle up there. ;D

The big ones on the B'more end would have been the Flexi-Flo, a couple of things around Woodberry (I remember the Sears Service Center getting Railboxes), there was also Shenuit Tire and Rubber, The Sunpapers down on Calvert Street, the interchange yard with the WM at Hillen, then up the road further, Stebbins had a truss plant where ChiChi's is now, 84 in Timonium had a siding, then on up to the industrial park in Hunt Valley.

A lot of those will require a time warp machine, but they would definitely add some operating potential.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 09:53:05 AM »
Jerry & Gregg, the Conrail ZTS map is the equivalent of the CT100. It's even cooler though, as it shows placement on one page, and the industry list on the other.

I've got the ones for the Harrisburg and York areas as well as the Baltimore area. The space between will be pure conjecture.

Lee, thanks for the heads up on those. I didn't know about Shenuit. I didn't realize Stebbins was anything more than a retailer. Which location was that? Right by Timonium Rd?

3rdrail

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 09:53:29 AM »
There's a "c" in Schenuit. Also, Standard Brands (Fleischmann's Vinegar) was the first industry outside the yard limits. Mt. Vernon Millwork was in the old Mt. Vernon Mills buildings, which were accessed through the old Franklin Railway Supply plant. How much of that was still there 20 years later, 22 years ago, I don't know, this was 1965 and 1966.

Red Ball made an N scale kit of that vinegar plant at one time.

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 10:23:57 AM »
Yeah, it was right where the ChiChi's is now.  It was a huge butler building with a considerable lumberyard and loading area for truss deliveries.  I'm certain it had a rail siding, as I recall there being a crossing gate on Aylesbury road about a block south of Timonium road.

It closed up by 1980.  ChiChi's opened by my senior year, 1982... it was the "in" place to take a date and try to score an underage Margarita.

At one time Stebbins main store was located on York Road right by the M&P bridge.  They had a coal pier and a lumber warehouse there, too.  They move to the Kenilworth location in the 70's, then gradually phased out the lumber operation, which led to the closure of the truss plant.

Depending on the age of your ZTS, you might be able to find it.

Lee
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 10:27:55 AM by wm3798 »
Rockin' It Old School

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 11:02:16 AM »
Ahh, that Chi-Chis is gone now, replaced by a Walgreens and a bank. The 84  lumber is still there, and I planned on including it.

Part of what spurred all of this was the BANTRAK meeting yesterday, where I decided I needed to find something "simple" to build as a oNeTRAK module. I was thinking about maybe Padonia Rd, but then I thought I wanted something with more industries. York seems a little too congested to do any of it intelligently on a module (but I'm tempted to do it on a group of them down the road), I was also thinking about New Freedom, but that again would need more than one module to do correctly (especially if I want to base a Stewartstown Tourist Line out of there).

Timonium Rd right now is seeming like a good bet. I wonder how tough that Chi-Chis would be to scratchbuild. Of course, then I'd need a schnockered Lee figure.

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 12:04:26 PM »
Go with the truss plant...  It'll be a lot more interesting than some drunk with a skinny tie staggering toward a Super Beetle...

My fuzzy memory is getting more and more clear.  The Stebbins spur came off the main right across from 84, the points were just south of the grade crossing, and the track went off to the left (facing south) then proceeded in an easterly direction to the lumber yard.

The 84 spur came off at the south end of the lumber yard, and I believe went along the east wall of the main building.  They haven't changed the yard much, so you should be able to see evidence of loading doors.  The lot's been blacktopped, so I don't think you'll be able to see where the track went in, although I believe it was still in place when I helped with an inventory there back in 93.  The switch was removed for the light rail in the late 80's, though.

Don't forget to include the Ache and Stale!

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

RockGp40

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +131
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 12:16:01 PM »
What about the quarry near Beaver Dam Road? Did that ever get rail service prior to the Light Rail tracks being placed? I have seen at least 2 spurs leading in there, but they look abandoned.
No farms, no food.

Support your local farmer's market!

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2007, 12:33:23 PM »
Lee, can you sketch that up a little for me?

Rock, that Quarry will DEFINITELY get service on the layout, in fact, it'll be a big customer, but it's a little too grandiose for the oNeTRAK module I'm planning.Especially considering the fact that you have to cross a 6" wide road to get to into it.

But yeah, it's going to be featured. Bigtime...

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2007, 02:53:24 PM »

This is what it looked like in about 1980-81 to the best of my recollection.  The line may have been double tracked through there, but I can't honestly recall.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +188
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 12:05:01 PM »
Ed,

There's an actively served truss plant up around Blue Bell, if you need a proto reference. As far as the quarry goes, how about a gated siding (that disappears around a bend and into some trees) and a (well-weathered) company switcher to represent the quarry. Rock is so prominent in that area now, just look at Maryland Midland traffic, so model the larger quarry (quarries) in "relief" as such and model a smaller load out somewhere else. You could always move the Waste Management load out in Jessup to the Baltimore area, postulating that Conrail offered better terms than CSX.
Now seeking Pacific NW N scalers to create a Modutrak-style modular club featuring NP's shared mainline between Seattle and Portland. PM me if interested.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 12:34:14 PM »
Ooh, good call on Waste Management, although I think the railroads got into the garbage business well after my era.

I had always planned on doing the quarry as a relief, but I think it'd be switched by CR. It's a good excuse to keep some beat old SWs living in Cockeysville.

ljudice

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 11:01:55 PM »
Ed, another conrail resource that shows industries is the "Railroads & Industries" map - there is probably one for Harrisburg and one for Baltimore.

They are pretty easy to find at train shows...

Lou