Author Topic: small yArd design help...  (Read 6622 times)

asciibaron

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
    • Steve's Happy Fun Time IntarWebs
Re: small yArd design help...
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2007, 02:00:13 PM »

here's a mod to the mainline to increase train length and improve operations.  the 2 independent loops make no operational sense - by creating the over/under in the upper right corner, and removing the double crossover at the lower left, the main now is a winding loop around the layout.  the sidings have been improved to increase train length and to improve their usefulness when setting out cars.

the lower right area still needs some sort of small yard - the plan from reply #17 can be shoe horned into this space and nearly gives you what is needed to keep the main clear while working the yard.

-steve
Quote from: Chris333
How long will it be before they show us how to add DCC to a tree?

diezmon

• Crew
  • Do they speak English in "What"?
  • Respect: +264
Re: small yArd design help...
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2007, 08:58:01 PM »

here's a mod to the mainline to increase train length and improve operations.  the 2 independent loops make no operational sense - by creating the over/under in the upper right corner, and removing the double crossover at the lower left, the main now is a winding loop around the layout.  the sidings have been improved to increase train length and to improve their usefulness when setting out cars.

the lower right area still needs some sort of small yard - the plan from reply #17 can be shoe horned into this space and nearly gives you what is needed to keep the main clear while working the yard.

-steve

Having the two loops meet in that upper right area won't work.  There just wouldn't be enough clearance unless I used very steep grades.  Most of the structure is already in place and I'm more concerned with the yard/switching on the lower right at this point anyway.

I did already extend the sidings I had on the upper half of the layout, although I haven't updated my "master" plan as such.

:)