Author Topic: What does Z scale have to do to lure you to it?  (Read 7892 times)

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
Re: What does Z scale have to do to lure you to it?
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2007, 10:25:24 PM »
1.) Decals, 2.) Decent steam with working valve gear, 3.) Detail parts,

Hey! that's my list for N scale! :o

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2007, 04:31:54 AM »
  Z (Zed) is actually  N (nen) turned on it's side. What would I want, well in Just Passenger trains alone a Cal Zeph, a Pioneer Zeph,an M10000,how bout a 1955 Empire (umpire) Builder, and oh yes the entire 1955 City of LA Domeliner with three E-8 / 9 diesels. My list just goes on and on. On the otherhand I would really like to see kits (Resin?) For N n 2 locomotives and rolling stock from New England Area, this has always interested me, and some Fine Scale (Bullhead?) rail to lay the track.                                 Nate Goodman (Nato). Salt Lake, Utah.

Pomperaugrr

• Crew
  • Respect: +1197
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2007, 10:11:13 AM »
I am impressed by the improvements I've seen made in Z scale over the past few years.  With improved track and locomotive mechanisms, Z scale has a lot of potential.  It can provide an outlet for folks with limited space and a desire to run long trains and an operations oriented layout.  Anything that keeps the hobby going is alright in my book.  Z scale is just not for me though.

Eric

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5511

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2007, 03:26:28 PM »
To me Z is intriguing,  but not (yet) economical -- how much nowadays for a diesel like say a GP or SD?   Also aren't all the cars "high riders" with "pizza cutter" wheels? (No surprise there, if they come from MT)  Seems Z cars would be trickier to lower than N.

The Code 40 rail seems oversized for Z, but I have heard of folks who hand-lay 0.030" tall strip metal on PC ties, they say it is so small that you don't notice that it has no rail profile.

I've actually gone the other direction & dabbled in Proto:48, tho I never built anything worth mentioning.   Yes it is more costly than Z but you don't need nearly as much stuff, and the detailing you can do is incredible.  However for me, weathering a $25+ N-scale car is scary enough, but the thought of touching a $70+ car in O scale gives me even more gray hair  :)

In both scales the selections are considerably more limited than N.

ednadolski

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2007, 03:29:29 PM »
Z Scale Tehachapi Loop:

http://www.platelayer.com/mj/tehachapi/index.asp

(Don't know if he ever built this, but the plans are really cool!)  ;)

SecretWeapon

• Crew
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2007, 03:50:12 PM »
GROW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mike

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1241
    • Modutrak
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2007, 03:53:29 PM »
Z Scale Tehachapi Loop:

That's neat!

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2007, 03:59:27 PM »
Z scale narrow gauge:
http://www.bronx-terminal.com/wp-content/uploads/270607.jpg

Gee Chris , if somebody could come up with N scale mine cars to actually run on that Zn whatever , that might sell .

Richie Dost

ednadolski

• Crew
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2007, 01:03:11 AM »
Z Scale Tehachapi Loop:

That's neat!
I liked it so much that it inspired my own Loop layout, tho as you can see mine isn't as complete and I am in dire need of a backdrop....

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o153/ednadolski/100B1171_small.jpg

I always thought it would be cool to make something like this that could travel to shows & maybe somehow hook into an N-Track setup, but even a very small Loop is too big to transport in N scale -- that's a case where Z could be interesting tho....

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5511
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2007, 02:13:32 AM »
ednadolski,
Great layout and models!

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8028
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2007, 01:42:31 PM »
Wow Ed, that layout IS great!

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2007, 03:02:57 PM »
"What does Z scale have to do to lure you to it?"

Nothing personal, but it's just too small for me.
Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

Pray59

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2007, 11:33:13 PM »
Haha! You guys sound just like the HO guys did 10 years ago in the NMRA, when talking about N Scale! ;D

Z Scale is for the hard core, those that extract pleasure out of their hand crafted labor, and not yet for the RTR crowd. Ohh! Did that hit home?  :o

5 years ago I was just like most of you, but... yawn... over the past few years I grew weary of my N Scale collection. Now I am tasked and challenged, and enjoying modeling more than ever.

It takes cash or the desire to develop skills to get into Z, but Z is still growing, so maybe in 5-10 years it will appeal to more of you. 8)

-Robert

PS: If you like Metal, here is our latest Z Scale video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MSO95vu18A
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 11:42:13 PM by Pray59 »

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2007, 12:04:54 AM »
Haha! You guys sound just like the HO guys did 10 years ago in the NMRA, when talking about N Scale! ;D

Z Scale is for the hard core, those that extract pleasure out of their hand crafted labor, and not yet for the RTR crowd. Ohh! Did that hit home?  :o

5 years ago I was just like most of you, but... yawn... over the past few years I grew weary of my N Scale collection. Now I am tasked and challenged, and enjoying modeling more than ever.

It takes cash or the desire to develop skills to get into Z, but Z is still growing, so maybe in 5-10 years it will appeal to more of you. 8)

-Robert

Thats the biggest Z layout I saw so far . Thanks for sharing .

PS: If you like Metal, here is our latest Z Scale video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MSO95vu18A

Richie Dost