Author Topic: What does Z scale have to do to lure you to it?  (Read 7896 times)

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
What does Z scale have to do to lure you to it?
« on: June 28, 2007, 03:03:55 PM »
Ok, I'm doing more and more modeling in Z because I enjoy the challenge of weathering at the small scale. 

What products have to be available in Z scale to make you want to model in it?  MT's recently released modern FCM boxcar did the trick for me.  Other things I would like to see:

1.  Better proportioned models.  Why is this a problem - even for "motorless" models - in Z?  I don't know.
2.  For MT to revert back to body mounted couplers on all their cars.
3.  100 ton trucks.
4.  For off-the-shelf code 40 (or better) track.
5.  $100 locos with scale width hoods.

TrainCat2

• Crew
  • I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
  • Respect: +802
    • TrainCat Model Sales
Re: What does Z scale have to do to lure you to it?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 03:07:00 PM »
I am releasing four new bridges in Z and I have limited space as this moment. Not as bad as Lee, but close.

Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 03:34:13 PM »
I finally caved in and tried Z after a bunch of posts by Tom Mann in the N scale forum  ;D

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 03:44:26 PM »
Z is easier to write than N  ;)

I use Z wheels as MOW wheels after regauging them with WD-40 red spray tubes . ( They don't roll worth a damn though )

I made a MOW tank using a Z tank with N trucks and a modified ladder .

Sorry guys Z is just too small for me . It's like N , but with problems harder to correct . It's the watchmakers scale .

Richie Dost

Pomperaugrr

• Crew
  • Respect: +1197
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 04:05:39 PM »
I would give "Z" a try if it was a little better detailed and a little bigger, say, 1:160.  ;)

3rdrail

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 05:01:32 PM »
1.) Decals, 2.) Decent steam with working valve gear, 3.) Detail parts, 4.) Turnouts that come without roadbed.

I might even consider fooling around with the new Geep if there were decals available. But, no decals, no interest.

FrankCampagna

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 05:08:49 PM »
Alcos. Frank
"Once I built a railroad, made it run......."

tokenbrit

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 05:20:44 PM »
I would give "Z" a try if it was a little better detailed and a little bigger, say, 1:160.  ;)

I agree: Z would need to be 1.375 (220/160) times bigger to lure me to it :D

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 05:38:55 PM »
I would not say that I could be lured in "all the way" by any commercial product. I'm still just "dabbling," although a bit more deeply these days, because 1) life circumstances leave me with no permanent layout option, and limited space for anything else, 2) there's generally been more products made avalable in the recent past to make a temporary project worthwhile (barely), and 3) I felt as if there might be some interesting challenges to tackle, the way it was for N scale in the early days, to tide me over for the time being. Frustratingly, there are still huge "holes" in the Z scale product range--automobiles, for instance.

When circumstances permit, I will return to N scale full-time, and my Z scale project will end, having served its purpose.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 05:44:56 PM by dks2855 »

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 05:42:36 PM »
Micro-trains (or equivelent price/quality) would need to produce a scale width hood and a closed pilot.

Jason

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +584
    • My train pics
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007, 05:47:38 PM »
I'll leave N scale when I'm dead... maybe.

There is alot of new N stuff that I've been waiting for, and way too much stuff that I can't get in N right now. I couldn't imagine Z could seduce me with a "few" items. There are a gazillion things that aren't available in Z that I can get in N. And I live in a little, teeny tiny, itty bitty condo at the moment, so Z would not be a bad idea to dabble in. But I'm not even tempted.

SquirrelHollow

• Crew
  • Grease Monkey
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2007, 06:23:34 PM »
I had been impressed with the detail in MTL's Z scale equipment for a while.  I actually considered building a coffee table layout in Z.  That was until my last visit to the LHS...

I picked up a Micro Trains F-7 to use the guts in a Nn3 shay. 
I had looked at these F-7s in display cases, and they didn't look bad at all.  When I saw the Santa Fe paint, I changed my mind.   What a crappy finish.  It looked like a 6th grader painted it.  And the noise!  Oh the noise!  We ran 2 at the LHS and they're as loud as a brand new Con-Cor U50 or Veranda.
I would have found another method for creating my 36" guage Shay if the owner hadn't applied a 10% discount to the high dollar items (>$50) that day, and another 10% off the entire total.

I was very dissappointed.

The F-7 is still destined to donate it's vital organs to an RLW shay kit to become Nn3 Uintah Railway #7, mainly because there aren't many options besides winning the lottery or stealing expensive milling equipment.
I still believe there are some very nice items out there, and a lot of guys doing amazing work in Z.  I, however, will be keeping my distance until the day I am wowed once again.
-Robert

Uintah Railway, Utah Railway.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2007, 06:29:48 PM »
I had been impressed with the detail in MTL's Z scale equipment for a while.  I actually considered building a coffee table layout in Z.  That was until my last visit to the LHS...

I picked up a Micro Trains F-7 to use the guts in a Nn3 shay. 
I had looked at these F-7s in display cases, and they didn't look bad at all.  When I saw the Santa Fe paint, I changed my mind.   What a crappy finish.  It looked like a 6th grader painted it.  And the noise!  Oh the noise!  We ran 2 at the LHS and they're as loud as a brand new Con-Cor U50 or Veranda.
I would have found another method for creating my 36" guage Shay if the owner hadn't applied a 10% discount to the high dollar items (>$50) that day, and another 10% off the entire total.

I was very dissappointed.

The F-7 is still destined to donate it's vital organs to an RLW shay kit to become Nn3 Uintah Railway #7, mainly because there aren't many options besides winning the lottery or stealing expensive milling equipment.
I still believe there are some very nice items out there, and a lot of guys doing amazing work in Z.  I, however, will be keeping my distance until the day I am wowed once again.

Well, unfortunately what you picked up is not representative of all Z scale locomotives, by any means. The F7s represent 20-something-year-old technology. Had you picked up one of their GP35s, you might have been much more pleased, since they represent current technology--they are smooth, quiet runners (although for all their faults the noisy old F7s are still reliable little beasties that will out-pull most anything). M-T are about to release a GP9, which will be state-of-the-art with finish work more in keeping with their reputation.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 06:33:24 PM by dks2855 »

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2007, 06:36:23 PM »
Nope, sorry, not for me.  The cost is too high, and the availability of stuff for N has finally hit its stride.  No switch for me, even if the space I have dissolves before my eyes...

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Wlal13again

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2007, 07:09:16 PM »
Too rich for my blood..
You`ll never find a Philly cheese steak on a menu in Philadelphia. It`s called a cheesesteak and we all know where it`s from...