Author Topic: "End-of-Month" Speculation  (Read 8923 times)

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
Re: "End-of-Month" Speculation
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2007, 11:59:01 PM »
Will MTL's be the steel version of the drop bottom GSC ? If so they will be very welcome by me if in UP garb .

Richie Dost

Chulvis

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +5
    • http://www.featherrivertrains.com
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2007, 12:11:24 AM »
Will MTL's be the steel version of the drop bottom GSC ? If so they will be very welcome by me if in UP garb .

up1950's:
There was no information regarding the makeup of the gon in the Micro-News. Based on what we see in the picture it appears to be a steel version. We'll know more tomorrow, I think....I hope.

As for the other two models available, the InterMountain version is a built-up Tichy Train Group kit that I think dates back to the Dimi Trains days. I hope MTL is doing something different here. We don't need more redundancy in N Scale. That makes no sense to me.

bsoplinger

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2007, 06:53:43 AM »
As for the other two models available, the InterMountain version is a built-up Tichy Train Group kit that I think dates back to the Dimi Trains days. I hope MTL is doing something different here. We don't need more redundancy in N Scale. That makes no sense to me.

The IM version is most definitely not the Tichy/Dimi trains version built up. I got a number of these as kits for a steal on eBay. They have real laser scribed wood sides, ends and floor and injection molded plastic for the 'metal' bits of these composite style gons. They are very nice cars. I also purchased a few built up version just to get more road numbers. Still the same wood sides, floor and ends just put together already. The kits were interesting to see the printing, a bit of it on the steel supports, the rest on the wood sides and when you put it all together it looks like it was printed on the completed car. I've always been hoping whenever IM talks about doing another car that they'd do a later WW2 era composite gon in the same method but they don't.

The injection molded plastic Dimi trains version that Tichy offers is a decently detailed model. Nothing special, but not horrible and it doesn't suffer from huge cast on things that are supposed to be details but that's only because I know its supposed to be a grab iron (insert your choice of detail here) syndrome that other inexpensive plastic cars seem to always have.

So unless the MT offering is significantly different that the model that's done by both the Tichy/Dimi and IM I wouldn't consider it over the IM offering if you want detail or the Tichy offering if you want cheap.

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2007, 09:39:20 AM »
Lets us know as soon as the cats out of the bag Chuck please .

The possibility it is a steel GSC dropbottom has been long awaited ( actually forever ) , and if so , this will be a big hit , and if done in runner packs for the UP and D&RGW , I will be very happy .

Oh my , that is a Steel GSC drop bottom gon .

« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 12:25:23 PM by up1950s »

Richie Dost

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2007, 06:56:38 PM »
It will now not be that 35th anniversary scheme on the GSC  steel drop bottom, but a regular railroad scheme . See George's post on the Invision forum . I hope its the UP of course .

Richie Dost

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2007, 05:20:01 PM »
Is the 33' USRA panel side hopper a new car?

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2007, 05:26:38 PM »
Think the hopper was introduced last month in Wabash.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2007, 12:20:04 PM »
What's up with Athearn? Guess they are focused on the Challenge(r).

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2007, 12:37:30 PM »
  MT will offer the"Hula Girls" steel sided 40Ft. Reefer. This will be the first of their Japanese Movie Series,(can Anime be far behind?), Kato still trying to use up their over supply of RDC cars will offer a 4 for $5.00 sale with Arby's logos, Athearn will offer a Mil Gon in Undecorated with the details showing ,Intermountain will decide Kits are worth bringing back first will be PFE Reefers, ready run will be discontinued, Atlas will offer yet another endless aray of new never before seen paint schemes on their GP38's ,Con Cor will be taking reservations for their 3rd classic passenger train the B&M Daniel Webster Talgo train to be released sometime after the Aero Train and M10000,Red Caboose and Bowser on the otherhand will continue to produce workhorse freight car models and Delux many more road names on containers.                           Nate Goodman (Nato). Salt Lake, Utah.