Author Topic: How do YOU weather a gondola?  (Read 4561 times)

3rdrail

How do YOU weather a gondola?
« on: June 17, 2007, 11:26:26 AM »
Has this series lost any interest? I know quite a few of you have weathered gons, so how about sharing some techniques here, please?

Here are a couple of mine:

M&PA 307 was originally a Rapido DB gondola fom the earliest days of N scale which I rebuilt into a US prototype. It was weathered with Floquil's Weathering Colors Set:

PRR 304464 is another ancient Rapido gondola. it had been repainted several times and was put in brake fluid to remove the old paint. This softened the body, permitting some "wear and tear' to be added. It was weather with both the Floquil paints above and Micro-Mark chalks:

Now, it's YOUR turn!

MrKLUKE

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 10:50:37 PM »
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 12:35:04 PM by MrKLUKE »

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: How do YOU weather a gondola?
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 11:43:59 PM »

I love seeing this one listed as "rare" on ebay...  I cut the floor out to lower it, and beat the hell out of it with a soldering iron.

An old postage stamp car lowered, given a detailed floor, and weathered with acrylic washes.

Gregg, I've always liked that M&P car.  I recall seeing one very much like it around the York terminal in the early 80's as part of their wreck train.  Are you going to get a model power 4-4-0 to pull it, or a Kato NW-2?

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Red Rock

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 01:02:10 PM »
Here is one I did a while back. I was trying to approximate a proto gon I had seen locally. I tried to get the pushed out, beat up, side look by applying some "green putty" to the sides of the gon above the floor line. When that was dry I tried sanding it down some and scratching it up to see if I could get it to look at least a little real. The gon then got painted an off black and then masked to preserve the patch area. Then the rest of the car got a greyish wash, followed by some rust washes. The lower (lighter) rust was done with chalks, sort of a wash of chalks, to try to get a streaking effect. The trucks were pretty beat on the proto so the got more rust paint than I would normally do. A couple of holes were poked through the side of the car too. A fine thing to do to a MT gon. The car also got the standard lowering treatment and I changed out the stirrups.

proto image
Red Rock

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 05:11:17 PM »
I've never lowered any of my cars.  How about some tips on how you do this. 

hegstad1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1631
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 09:51:15 PM »
This is a yet to be released GHQ model that I first painted weathered black and then decaled.  It is further weathered using acrylic washes and dry-brushed highlights.

Andrew Hegstad
Andrew Hegstad

SAH

• Crew
  • Respect: +1259
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 09:57:49 PM »
Here is one I did a while back. I was trying to approximate a proto gon I had seen locally. I tried to get the pushed out, beat up, side look by applying some "green putty" to the sides of the gon above the floor line. ......

VERY well done.  Good idea with the putty.

Steve

sw1000b

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 08:07:38 AM »
This is one that I did last year. I replaced all the panels on the sides and repainted the car, weathered using washes and gouache for the rust. The inside, I used Poly S paint and several washes and just scraps of things, mulch, etc.

Butch Eyler/sw1000b

Erik W

• Crew
  • Respect: +715
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 12:36:13 PM »
This is a Grandt Line HOn3 D&RGW Drop Bottom Gondola plastic kit.  The challenging part of this project was painting/weathering the inside to look like aged, bare wood.  I mixed my own paint for the aged wood as well as the faded box car red used on the exterior of the car.  Weathering was done with a dirty gray wash followed by a light airbrushing of Polly Scale Dirt and finishing with the application of Bragdon Weathering Powders.

Erik

Ntrainz1

• Crew
  • Respect: +87
    • blog
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 08:46:36 PM »

saui

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2007, 05:24:41 PM »
.....I don't weather gondolas....I buy them...weathered!!

;D