Author Topic: Litchfieldstation announcement  (Read 2042 times)

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
Litchfieldstation announcement
« on: June 18, 2007, 08:14:05 PM »
By popular request Bruce is adding MRC N-scale sound diesel decoders to the offerings at Litchfield Station.

For those who insist on DC operation, we will be stocking the MRC "Black Box" to provide additional control for your MRC and LokSound decoders.

To visit the new offerings, CLICK HERE. The response to these new N-Scale decoders will help determine how much of the remainder of the line we stock. Let us know!

Powersteamguy1790

Re: Litchfieldstation announcement
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 08:42:39 PM »
I've installed the MRC sound decoder in two pairs of Kato E-8 AB units. They aren't exactly drop-ins as the frame of the Kato E-8 has to be adjusted in fourteen places to seat the decoder. It's a very easy installation and can be done in 10-15 minutes for each unit.

I've also installed the MRC # 1637 in the Spectrum 4-8-4 N&W J class. This was also a relatively easy decoder installation.

The sound is good and you'll be pleasantly surprised with the operation of both diesel and steam sound decoders.

Stay cool and run steam..... 8) 8)

bsoplinger

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 11:08:12 PM »
The problem with the MRC diesel decoders is that although they have "Two selectable, authentic 8-notch diesel prime mover sounds" they aren't the sounds that the prime mover of any of the locos the decoders are for: AC4400C, SD70, P42. They offer 2 decoders, one for the SD70 and AC4400, the other for the P42, with 2 more models, one for "Kato and Athearn" and one for "Atlas GP-38 and others" that aren't out yet. I assume they'll have the same 2 prime mover sounds, again, not matching the locos they go into.

Seems to me if I'm going to go to the trouble of installing sound into a loco, it'd be nice if it was at least 'close' to the right sound. Just my $0.05 on the matter (adjusted for inflation).

Their steam decoder suffers from the same issues but is a bit more useful as a generic steam sound decoder. I've installed a few of all of these in locos for other people and they all seem to be happy with the sound so perhaps I'm just being too picky.

Robbman

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 11:50:39 PM »
Message deleted
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 02:20:34 AM by Robbman »

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5404
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 11:59:58 PM »
You can make it sound more like an Alco by putting a baseball card in the spokes... ;D

Then set fire to the baseball card to simulate the famous Alco carbon discharge...

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 10:12:16 AM »
You might be wasting your breath bp... I pointed this out over on the A-forum when they first came out and no one really cared about using an EMD prime mover for an Alco... 

Yeah, guys like me must be insane to expect an Alco to sound like an Alco, or a 567 to sound like a 567, or a 645 turbo top sound like a 645 turbo, or worse yet a U boat to sound like a U boat.

I'd rather have no sound than the wrong sound.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7962
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 10:14:56 AM »
You might be wasting your breath bp... I pointed this out over on the A-forum when they first came out and no one really cared about using an EMD prime mover for an Alco... 

Ahh, and THAT is why we have the Railwire, Robb.