Author Topic: New member and layout  (Read 2725 times)

MichaelT

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
New member and layout
« on: June 07, 2007, 10:03:43 AM »
Good morning,

Was sent a link to this forum by a friend from another site, so I thought I'd check it out and see what I can learn from you folks here.

I got started late in life in the hobby, currently building a G scale garden railroad in the back yard, and working on an N scale layout in the hobby room.

Here is a loose diagram of the layouts current track plan.

While I'm working on finishing sidings and then working on the main yard and the short yard, I've been running trains daily on the operational mainline.

I've got a few pictures that will take you around the current state of the layout. It's still messy, and I'm still learning.

So yes I still have quite a bit of work ahead of me, and I'm learning new things as I go along. The friend that sent me the link to here, also sent me a link to about 10 youtube videos where a guy works on the foam boards and creates mountains and hills; quite impressive.

I'll be running mostly the Missouri Pacific Railroad, but will take quite a while to change all my engines to Mopac; will also run some Cotton Belt/SP/ and Rock Island trains, the three main railroads that ran through Arkansas in the 40's-60's or thereabouts.

The layout at this time is mostly flat; all the trackwork is flat and level right now. I haven't learned how to build grades just yet.

So there's a decent start. I'll add updates as they happen, and would appreciate tips, suggestions, questions, thoughts, etc. that any of you feel might help me improve the railroad.

Michael

Fotheringill

Re: New member and layout
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 12:10:38 PM »
I would put a reverse loop into the plan for variety of running. It looks like all trains will only go in one direction as you have it laid out.

MichaelT

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 12:24:35 PM »
I would put a reverse loop into the plan for variety of running. It looks like all trains will only go in one direction as you have it laid out.

Thanks, that has been mentioned, and I'm looking at possible places to put on in.

I have played around with RR Track a bit, and put in a small/medium sized yard...

I'll look at either loop and see if/where a reverse could best be installed.

Thanks Fotheringill;

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5401
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 02:07:18 PM »
Hey, Michael.  Welcome to the 'wire.  The layout's coming along, and you've got a good track plan.
A couple thoughts... If you want to stick with Atlas c80 track, consider using the custom-line turnouts that don't have the big coffins next to them.  It'll really make a big difference in how the layout looks as your scenery evolves.

For turnout control, you can use either Caboose industries ground throws, which are still big, but more easily disguised, or some sort of undertable motor, such as a Tortoise.

Even though you're just starting with the track work, it's important to consider how things will look later on.  It's easier to choke up a couple more dollars now than to rip out finished track when you decide you're not satisfied with the looks.
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

MichaelT

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 02:17:11 PM »
Thanks Lee; I have a number of "coffin" turnouts...but I am starting to buy the custom line turnouts.

Question concerning them. Do you HAVE to install a throw immediately? Can you manually throw them until time comes that I can get some tortoise machines?

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2098
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 02:27:07 PM »
Welcome MichaelT , you do realize that the UP owns the MP , so you have to give me all your stuff . ;D

Richie Dost

MichaelT

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 02:30:49 PM »
Welcome MichaelT , you do realize that the UP owns the MP , so you have to give me all your stuff . ;D
Thanks Richie; I actually have a few UP engines, and a few pieces of stock...but not willing to give them up just yet...:D

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 03:56:03 PM »
You can throw the turnout and hold them in place with a pin till you get something hooked up.

MichaelT

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 04:23:36 PM »
You can throw the turnout and hold them in place with a pin till you get something hooked up.

Thanks Chris.

extra7000south

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 12:02:10 AM »
Hi Michael...Good to see you here.  8)
Glenn
Petal, MS
Modeling Southern Railway In N {Normal} Scale

MGSC-NRHS
http://www.msrailroads.com/MGS.htm

MichaelT

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 08:46:04 AM »
Thanks Glenn, it's good to be here.

Well last night I corrected a couple of mistakes I had made the night prior. I also installed a passing siding that will lead to the turnout for the yard lead. The yard lead will run the length of the freight yard, before connecting back to the mainline.

I also installed a freight siding for another storage area. This one just one track, but will house a food distributor, or something like that.

Michael