Author Topic: Another New Atlas Freight Car!!! (in HO)  (Read 4531 times)

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +584
    • My train pics
Re: Another New Atlas Freight Car!!! (in HO)
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2007, 11:52:45 PM »
Kato? Freight cars? ::)

Their stack cars are pretty nice... out of your era, but nice.

ljudice

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2007, 01:05:10 PM »
I agree, the Kato stack cars are great - and their coal gons are really nice too - I personally like them the best (of the 3-4 types out there).

I think they are also the least expensive, BTW...

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +584
    • My train pics
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2007, 01:08:45 PM »
Yes, good pricing. But I'm still waiting for my freaking SD75I!

And no, the Athearn one doesn't even come close to the quality of a Kato. Glue? OMFG is that weak.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2007, 04:18:43 PM »
I guess Atlas is right on with its production planning - as no one seems to care less that they are not tooling any new freight cars in N-scale...

How many new cars do really expect to see in a given time?

NEW MODEL! N 70 TON HART BALLAST CAR
NEW MODEL! N EVANS GONDOLA
NEW MODEL! N USRA STEEL REBUILT BOX CAR
NEW MODEL! N TRAINMAN™ AC® 50' 6" BOX CAR
NEW MODEL! N TRAINMAN™ ACF® 3560 CENTERFLOW COVERED HOPPER

That seems pretty good for a 20 month time frame. Especially when include the three new locomotives.

Jason
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 04:25:39 PM by wcfn100 »

POVC

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2007, 10:11:22 PM »
Over the past few year, Atlas has "usually" averaged announcing 3 new cars and 3 new locomotives a year, and some of us got used to that.  I have a list somewhere if I can find it again, but I know the pattern held from 2001-2004.

2005 was an "off" year; Paul indicated in a message that they were going to be doing "fewer" new engines and "more" new freight cars, since there were more cars they could do that there were engines.  However, right after that they announced Trainman, and most of their tooling money seems to have gone there (and what's worse, in O and HO), as they only announced only one freight car (Hart Ballast hopper) and one locomotive (MP15DC), although they also announced the retooled RS-11.

2006 was a good year; 5 freight cars announced (3 Master & 2 Trainman) and two engines (GP38-2 & U-23B); about what you would have expect based on Paul's 2005 comment.

In 2007 (which is now half over), we've had only one engine announced (C-420) and no freight cars.  The last freight car announced was the USRA Double Sheath last August; 10 months since the last new freight car announcement, which explains why some are getting anxious.

The good new is we may not have much longer to wait; in response to a comment about their new Atlas Modeler magazine, Paul seemed to hint that the 20,700 gal tank car might be coming soon in N-scale.

I for one am not worried; these things go in cycles, and before long the HO'ers will be complaining again because the N-scalers are getting all the new releases.   ;D

Tim

(And I only count 3 new HO freight car announcements since the last N announcement; 5701 Hopper, 20.7K gal Tank car and Thrall gondola)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 10:14:14 PM by POVC »

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2007, 07:36:16 AM »
I am not worried either .. I put all my engines in the yard the other day, and filled up two 7 foot tracks with locomotives .. I have too many locos now to realistically use :)

Now, I just need to get Cory to do a 12 pack of CSX 100 ton hoppers ..

ljudice

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2007, 10:21:48 AM »
You know, I've been a pretty darned loyal Atlas customer for decades - I shop at the same hobby shop as the Atlas people - and I personally think they make the best product of any manufacturer - period.

Atlas is falling behind on releasing N-scale models - the C40-8, Thrall Gon, etc...  They are even behind on roadnames on cars released in both scales...  The gap gets bigger every month...

I don't think momentum is on our side...   If N-scale was as healthy a marketplace as HO, this would not be happening - or the reverse would be happening.

So sorry for bringing this up - I will restrict my comments to my own blog in the future!!

http://www.mountainrails.com

« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 10:27:24 AM by ljudice »