Author Topic: Your career path.  (Read 9967 times)

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: Your career path.
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2007, 02:05:05 PM »
Yeah, I'm gonna need those TPS reports...

Yeahhhhhhh. Don't forget the cover sheet.

I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

3rdrail

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2007, 04:09:28 PM »
Hmmm, not a single hobby shop owner/manager/employee?  That's what I had in mind with "retail sales", but wanted to be more inclusive. OTOH, if you're selling something "banned in Boston", kindly put "other".  ;D ;D :-X

shortliner

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2007, 04:52:47 PM »
I have no beef with sales pesonnel, but to lump them in with medical pesonnel is a stretch and a half. But since healthcare isn't listed, I marked technical.

At least when I'm not either chasing trains or modeling them, I'm in healthcare........

3rdrail

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2007, 05:51:42 PM »
I have no beef with sales pesonnel, but to lump them in with medical pesonnel is a stretch and a half. But since healthcare isn't listed, I marked technical.

At least when I'm not either chasing trains or modeling them, I'm in healthcare........

I was referring to sales people - medical and technical sales people, as opposed to just salesmen or women, where knowledge of a complicated product is at least as important as sales ability. For example, my wife's father sold dryer felts for paper machines and actually was a graduate engineer.

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2007, 07:09:22 PM »
I work for the R&D dept. of a very small software co. I guess that counts as computer engineering/programming although I don't really do any programming in my job.

Robbman

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2007, 01:38:33 AM »
Yeah, I'm gonna need those TPS reports...

Yeahhhhhhh. Don't forget the cover sheet.

Yeahhhh.... back when I  worked in the automotive industry, I actually had to submit a monthly Toyota Production System report involving my line, and within that TPS was the other TPS (the one Office Space refers to)... we had a blast after OS came out...

shortliner

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2007, 01:58:30 AM »
I was referring to sales people - medical and technical sales people, as opposed to just salesmen or women, where knowledge of a complicated product is at least as important as sales ability. For example, my wife's father sold dryer felts for paper machines and actually was a graduate engineer.

Well, I'm not in sales, I'm in healthcare. And I bet there's quite a few other healthcare professionals who are also model railroaders/railfans ;)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 01:05:40 AM by shortliner »

diezmon

• Crew
  • Do they speak English in "What"?
  • Respect: +264
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2007, 10:53:37 AM »
Yeahhhh.... back when I  worked in the automotive industry, I actually had to submit a monthly Toyota Production System report involving my line, and within that TPS was the other TPS (the one Office Space refers to)... we had a blast after OS came out...

Funny.  Anyone who doesn't work in software need only rent that movie to get a full picture of what it's like ;)

Toyota.. I once worked for a Manager(and I use that term loosely)  who equated writing software to building cars.. WHA?? In fact, to building Toyota vehicles in particular! 

This is the same guy who used to sing "The wheels on the bus" outloud when he was walking around..
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 11:04:12 AM by diezmon »

Iain

• Crew
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +346
    • The Best Puppers
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2007, 04:43:20 PM »
My current jobs
Student (Two weeks of high school, then another ten years of college)
Electrician (Licensed for residential)
Marine Drafting
Occaisional Government Employee (maintaining state-owned boats)
Programmer (I do some work for a local ISP at home)

Mostly technical jobs, but most of the people I know my age are flipping burgers.  I did have a complicated tax return.
Thanks much,
Mairi Dulaney, RHCE
Member, Free Software Foundation and Norfolk Southern Historical Society

http://jdulaney.com

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2007, 02:59:33 AM »
  Ok! As a Retired or Semi-Retired person that just leaves me more time to play with all my toys, trains, RC Model Electric Boats, RC Cars, RC  Military tanks, Astronomy, Road Biking on a paved parkway  3-4 days a week. Of course I have to manage my income so I don't spend too much money on the net for the latest Brass Little Joe electric and then have no money left for food shelter etc .                          Nate Goodman (Nato). Salt Lake, Utah.

Erik W

• Crew
  • Respect: +715
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2007, 03:50:44 PM »
I'm an accountant working for Boulder County here in Colorado.  One hiccup in my career path was a 2 year stint at InterMountain as a Production Coordinator . . . glad to have gotten out of there before the ship sinks.

Erik

soo

• Crew
  • Respect: +107
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2007, 06:10:46 PM »
Looks like the white collars out weigh the blue collars.

I was and am upset to see skilled trades near the bottom of the list. Maybe I am having a bad day, or I just feel that the world as whole looks down on the blue collar man. Being a structural and petro chemical certified welder and a carpenter of 14+ years of exp, I just get upset that people always put us on the bottom of the list. Enough said.

Wyatt

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2007, 06:13:07 PM »

I was and am upset to see skilled trades near the bottom of the list. Maybe I am having a bad day, or I just feel that the world as whole looks down on the blue collar man. Being a structural and petro chemical certified welder and a carpenter of 14+ years of exp, I just get upset that people always put us on the bottom of the list. Enough said.

Wyatt

Wyatt .. I don't think that there was any intent to slight skilled trades .. I think 3rdrail just typed them in as he thought of them ..

After what my dealer just charged me for my brake job, I think I am going to change fields :)

shortliner

« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2007, 06:59:30 PM »

Wyatt

Not quite everybody.....I come from blue-collar roots, being the son of a construction worker/hard-rock miner. I chose a different path, and my folks supported me every step of the way. I feel more at home in jeans and a T-shirt than I do khakis and a Polo shirt. I only regret I was as skilled with my hands as my father was before he passed away.

3rdrail

« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2007, 09:07:09 PM »
As John has said in the previous post, the career paths shown other than computer, were just added randomly in the order of the modelers whom I know and what they did for a living. There was no slight intended, but Greg (Wyatt) for some reason hates my guts, as he has made clear to me in the past.

I will be glad to eliminate the poll if it will smooth things over.