Author Topic: Your age group...  (Read 9060 times)

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
Re: Your age group...
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2007, 06:29:45 PM »
I tried to vote before I signed in and I couldn't . I didn't do it through the Atlas posted link though . Are you sure it works for a unregistered person as claimed on the A board Ed ? 

I could not get it to work before logging in, so this is railwire centric.

Iain

• Crew
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +346
    • The Best Puppers
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2007, 07:05:28 PM »
I think the dying hobby cry is a bunch of malarky.. So many new products and technologies are coming out. I always thought that you get into model trains in your mid teens, then discover girls, parties, etc, go to college, or the service, come out, get married, get settled, start a carreer, then you come back to the hobby full force around your early 30`s. Thats what i did...
Or you could find you a girl that also likes trains, buy your first car for $100, a year later trade the engine from that car for a nice big truck, have someone rear end you a year after that, and have the insurance company buy you a truck that is fifteen years newer than the old one.  All the above basically mean that I can take the GF with me to train related things AND I have a nice truck with 60,000 miles on it for $100, which leaves plenty of money for trains.

Around here there are four people that are within six months of my age that like trains, and there are a few more that are younger.  Although I'm the only one that has tried scratchbuilding to any real extent, most of the others do actually trie to 'model;' i.e. they don't slap RTR stuff on the tracks.  All this leads me to believe that this hobby is not really about to die.
Thanks much,
Mairi Dulaney, RHCE
Member, Free Software Foundation and Norfolk Southern Historical Society

http://jdulaney.com

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2007, 08:35:21 PM »
Ed, please make the font in your poll larger, as it is too small for my old eyes... ;D

3rdrail

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2007, 09:05:31 PM »
Ed, please make the font in your poll larger, as it is too small for my old eyes... ;D

This is a guy that "dot-paints" rust spots on Z scale cars?? That dog don't hunt Tom.  ;D ;D ;D

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2098
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2007, 09:23:38 PM »

I bet you are just sore that you can't weather this poll Tom . ;D

Richie Dost

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2007, 09:40:40 PM »

This is a guy that "dot-paints" rust spots on Z scale cars?? That dog don't hunt Tom.  ;D ;D ;D

I actually outsource all my modeling to the Chinese...
http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=88920

;D ;D 8)

hegstad1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1631
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2007, 09:48:56 PM »
I think the dying hobby cry is a bunch of malarky.. So many new products and technologies are coming out. I always thought that you get into model trains in your mid teens, then discover girls, parties, etc, go to college, or the service, come out, get married, get settled, start a carreer, then you come back to the hobby full force around your early 30`s. Thats what i did...

Yup!  That's about it.

Andrew Hegstad

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2007, 10:48:28 PM »
FWIW, when I was in a model railroad club in the mid 1970s, folks were whining about how the hobby was dying then.

Roger Holmes

• Crew
  • Respect: +580
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2007, 11:22:28 PM »
Ebay and e-tailers are probably a significant reason for any decrease in trainshow attendance.  I used to go to shows with a list of things I had trouble finding.  Now I sit at the computer with my Visa card and find almost anything I want within minutes.  In a way that takes some of the fun out of it but I still go to several shows a year just to wear my pin covered vest ;D

As far as all the gray heads at shows: 1)I've seen a large number of young families at the shows I've been to in the last few years and 2)conventions (such as NMRA) that run several days costs alot to attend in terms of lodging, meals etc--most younger guys are spending that money on a family vacation and it is us OF's that have the empty nests and higher disposable income that are able to attend.

I agree with those of you who mention early interest in the hobby which wanes and then returns in young adulthood.
Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

SR Models

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2007, 08:13:36 AM »
....... In our travels to National & regional train shows we have found that the Jr. (under 25) railroaders are just as interested in modeling and discussing trains as any age group. I like the different view points and comments that different age groups offer. At one National train show we had some, 'rather modern', music playing on the laptop [before the music police showed up] and that prompted a lot of comments, from the Jr. modelers- they seemed surprised. [hey, just because we are over 40 doesn't mean we live under a rock].

As has been mentioned, the under 35 years are often busy tending to families and careers, so we may not "see" that group as much, but with time they become the over 45 age group and the majority.

We also tried to provide a discount/bonus to those modelers in their teens. I have always thought that the TAMR should provide a discount program Card for the teen agers.

Steven

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2007, 08:23:24 AM »
At one National train show we had some, 'rather modern', music playing on the laptop [before the music police showed up] and that prompted a lot of comments, from the Jr. modelers- they seemed surprised. [hey, just because we are over 40 doesn't mean we live under a rock].

Steven .. interesting comment .. I remember when I was a teen in the 70s, listening to Deep Purple, Zep, ZZ, etc .. my parents always commented on the ***** music I listened to. I guess it must be generational thing, while I despise rap music, now that I am 52, I still listen to DP, Zep, ZZ, Aerosmith, etc .. and so do my children .. of course, they also listen to that rap crap.

Craig Martyn

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
    • BLMA Models
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2007, 04:26:31 PM »
Although I wouldn't have considered myself an average teen modeler, I feel like the TAMR failed me back when I tried to contact them.  I had contacted them a few times to join and not once did they get back to me.  Of course, that didn't hinder my passion for this hobby, but it did make me wonder what the heck the point of the TAMR was (and probably still is).  I think it's a great idea, but the people running it need to be VERY pro-active in making and keeping new recruits...  Unfortunately, I didn't see that passion come through.

The point has been made that teens don't always like conversing with other teens in this somewhat mature hobby.  Although I have a few friends in the hobby that are my age, there is an even bigger group I don't even talk to.

Steven, I think your point is dead-on.  This hobby is definitely geared toward folks that have their lives on track (no pun intended), and in this day and age, starting a career, having a family, and paying bills would easily get in the way of enjoying a hobby that requires at least a little amount of free time.
Craig Martyn
BLMA Models

www.BLMAmodels.com

SAH

• Crew
  • Respect: +1259
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2007, 10:20:37 PM »
FWIW, when I was in a model railroad club in the mid 1970s, folks were whining about how the hobby was dying then.

Right.  Cause the kids then were nothing but a bunch of pot heads who sat around listening to Deep Purple, Zep and ZZ and would never amount to much of anything . . . . . . Oh, wait a minute . . . . . . . I'm talkin' 'bout MY generation   :P

The steel wheel on steel rail thing has fascinated generation after generation after generation, and will continue to do so in the future.  Not to worry.

Steve

Iain

• Crew
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +346
    • The Best Puppers
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2007, 04:48:42 PM »
We also tried to provide a discount/bonus to those modelers in their teens.

So this applies to me?  I know where I'm shopping next!
Thanks much,
Mairi Dulaney, RHCE
Member, Free Software Foundation and Norfolk Southern Historical Society

http://jdulaney.com

SquirrelHollow

• Crew
  • Grease Monkey
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2007, 07:18:17 PM »
I like what I'm seeing here, but I think it would be even more interesting to break it down into 5 year age groups. 

I see right now it's essentially "generations".  But I'm curious how this breaks down further.
-Robert

Uintah Railway, Utah Railway.