Author Topic: Stewart Products coil loads  (Read 1891 times)

Train Nutz

Stewart Products coil loads
« on: May 17, 2007, 03:24:36 AM »
Has anyone ever used the Steward Products coil loads and how do these look in size compared to the coil loads that Athearn uses in their gondolas with coil loads? I got some extra gons that I want to put these style of loads into and am trying to find something in the same size range. I looked at the Chooch loads but those even at the smallest size are humungous compared to the Athearn ones. I'm interested in the Steward ones but all I can find online are drawings of these but nothing on the actual size. I also did check Red Caboose but their site shows the three different size coils they make are out of stock.
Anyone know?????
Train Nutzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

NPRailer

Re: Stewart Products coil loads
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 11:30:31 PM »
The Steward loads are just under 1/2 inch in diameter (6.5 scale feet) and just under 1/4 inch wide (3 scale feet). I do not have Athearn or Chooch loads to compare them to.

Train Nutz

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 04:12:00 AM »
Hi NPRailer,
    Thank you very much for the measurements. From the discription you gave it looks as the Stewart coils are very close to the Athearn ones...( which are 3/8's inches tall X 5/16's wide). The Chooch on the other hand are...( 11/16's tall- this includes pallet base X 5/16's wide. Pallet size is 9/16's X 9/16's X 3/16's tall). These are huge compared to the Athearn ones. The Athearn cars come with 4 coils plus two separate plastic wooden guides that are placed in the gons bottom to hold the coils from rolling around. You can pretty much place the coils where you want and space them how you want too. I think I'll get some of the Stewart coils and make some guides like the ones in the Athearn cars to hold them in place.  If Athearn sold those coils and guides as separate loads, it would of made things a lot simpler. Oh well, I guess that's what being a modeler is all about. If it's not readily available, you make it yourself.
Thanks again,
Train Nutzzzzzzz

bsoplinger

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 09:55:27 PM »
Red Caboose makes (made?) 3 different 'widths' of their coil, to match what they have in their kit version coil cars:

RNP-51502     'N' 24' Steel Coil - (6 ea)
RNP-51503    'N' 36' Steel Coil - (6 ea)
RNP-51504    'N' 48' Steel Coil - (6 ea)

I got a package of each thinking they were of different diameters but I was wrong. They are all the same diameter, it is the thickness (or width) of the coil that is either 24 or 36 or 48 (I'm thinking the description should have " for inches instead of ' for feet). Now I am kicking myself for not ordering more at the time since it looks like now they are long gone.  :'(

Train Nutz

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 09:13:52 PM »
Hi bsolinger,
     What's really strange about the coils that Red Caboose makes is that their all out of stock on the three different sizes but they must have some in their inventory as they still make the coil car kit that comes with the coil loads for them. Maybe if enough people contact them on wanting these for loads they'll go back into production and make them available again.
Train Nutzzzzzzzz

Train Nutz

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 09:20:42 PM »
I just checked Walthers site and they show that they have the 24' style in stock but out of stock on the 36' & 48' ones. I do not know off hand how many of the 24' sets they have total in their inventory. You can probably have your local trainshop contact them on what they have on hand or better yet contact them direct during their normal bussiness hours.
Train Nutzzzzzzz ;D