Author Topic: N Scale layout in a week?  (Read 4718 times)

CVSNE

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
Re: N Scale layout in a week?
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2007, 07:22:02 PM »
I once built an N Scale layout (my first layout, based on the Western Maryland) when I first moved to Wisconsin -- started it just after the Rose Bowl game, and it was fundamentally done -- trains running and basic scenery -- on Super Bowl weekend. Funny thing, I remember the simple layouts, like that one and the Carolina Central -- as well as  my Essex Junction N scale layout (MRP 98) most fondly -- the big basement fillers can quickly loose their luster . . .

Anyway, in all the talk about doors -- has anyone figured out a reliable way to solidly join two or more doors together -- I'm thinking a latch of some type that would draw them together and keep them tight, but could still be quickly undone for moving or storage. I want to bolt an extension onto my layout and use hollow core doors for the base -- but need to be able t get them out of the way.

Any thoughts?

Marty
Modeling (or attempting to model) the Central Vermont circa October 1954  . . .

wendell camp

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2007, 07:54:23 PM »
Marty you could use two butt hindges one half on one door and the other half on the other door just pull the pin out and seprate the doors HTH Wendell
wendell   NHRA#59

Nelson

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2007, 11:01:31 PM »

Anyway, in all the talk about doors -- has anyone figured out a reliable way to solidly join two or more doors together -- I'm thinking a latch of some type that would draw them together and keep them tight, but could still be quickly undone for moving or storage. I want to bolt an extension onto my layout and use hollow core doors for the base -- but need to be able t get them out of the way.

Any thoughts?

Marty

Chest latches:
http://www.stanleyhardware.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=HDW+HC+LATCHES&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=801700

Zox

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
    • Lord Zox's Home Page
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2007, 09:22:48 AM »
Chest latches:
http://www.stanleyhardware.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=HDW+HC+LATCHES&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=801700

I used those to lock the legs on my latest module, but I also used alignment pins. Basically, the the pins hold the leg in position, while the latch pulls the leg tight onto the pins.

So far, it's working well.
Rob M., a.k.a. Zox
z o x @ v e r i z o n . n e t
http://lordzox.com/
It is said a Shaolin chef can wok through walls...

CVSNE

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2007, 04:47:28 PM »
Chest latches look like they'll work the best for this application.

Thanks for the information.

Marty
Modeling (or attempting to model) the Central Vermont circa October 1954  . . .