Author Topic: InterMountain FP7's in Pennsy!  (Read 2870 times)

keystonecrossings

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • Middle Division Musings
InterMountain FP7's in Pennsy!
« on: May 07, 2007, 04:00:00 PM »
If any interested parties haven't noticed yet, InterMountain did announce Pennsy FP7's... which will nicely fill the void CONTINUED by those horrible Model Power units!

They are due in December/January.

I have sent InterMountain two constructive comments...

1) The photo shows a 48" dynamic fan and it should be 36". It was released with the wrong fan in HO and I think the photo is probably of the HO model. I asked them to make sure it is 36" in N.

2) They have announced 2 FP7A / 2 F7B numbers... yet the PRR purchased them as ABA or AA sets. I have suggested they modify their announcement to include 4 FP7A / 2 F7B units. I doubt they will do it, but here's hoping!
Jerry Britton, PRRT&HS #6111
PRR Middle Division in HO Scale - http://jbritton.pennsyrr.com
Keystone Crossings - http://pennsyrr.com

nscalesteve

Re: InterMountain FP7's in Pennsy!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 04:10:30 PM »
Jerry, tell us about the numberboards, what is wrong with the numberboards, I know there is something wrong with the numberboards, there must be something wrong with the numberboards...

...or was it another model ?

inkaneer

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 04:48:22 PM »
I like my Model Power units.  Is something wrong with their numberboards?  These units are great for Ntrak which I use them for primarily.  I really got them for my grandsons to use as they are a good entry level locomotive.   
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 04:50:54 PM by inkaneer »

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 04:55:54 PM »
The problem with the Modelpower units is the paint is all wrong.  They used single stripe tuscan.  PRR FP7's had the 5 stripe paint in tuscan and the DGLE single stripe.  Also wish they would go to a knucle coupler and get rid of the Rapido's.  Hate to spend money changing out couplers on new equipment.

keystonecrossings

• Crew
    • Middle Division Musings
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 07:21:13 PM »
Jerry, tell us about the numberboards, what is wrong with the numberboards, I know there is something wrong with the numberboards, there must be something wrong with the numberboards...

...or was it another model ?

Jerry Britton, PRRT&HS #6111
PRR Middle Division in HO Scale - http://jbritton.pennsyrr.com
Keystone Crossings - http://pennsyrr.com

nscalesteve

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 07:53:38 PM »

LOL !! ...one point for you Jerry !   ;D ;D

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8041
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 09:29:14 PM »
No, I'd say that's worth 3 at least.

Well played.

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 02:37:07 AM »
  The Model Power FP-7 is a good entry level loco,but not much more. My 2 Canadian Pacific locos had the paint flaking off the rear ends, had to custom mix paint to get the right maroon shade to touch up the ends. Then to top it all off they have never released Western Pacific,which were the two locomotives I really have wanted. I know the IM's will be far better and hopefully they will be doing WP.                    Nate Goodman (Nato). Salt Lake, Utah.

brokemoto

• Crew
  • Respect: +182
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 07:47:47 AM »
The funny thing about the MP PRR FP-7s is that the 'train set' PRR FP-7 is closer to correct than is the 'hobbyist quality' PRR FP-7.  The 'trainset' version does have the five stripe tuscan scheme.  The timbre of the 'tuscan' is not the closest to correct, but the striping is.

The NYC ordered, and received, two ABA sets of passenger F-3s (the only passenger F-units that it had).  Still, one can often see photographs of their operating AB or AA.  The railroads tended to break up these 'sets' as the years passed.  I suspect that for most modellers, two units would be sufficient for any train that they would operate on their home pikes. 

Those who have basement empires or do most of their operating/running on N-TRAK, could, of course, want a larger motive power consist.  They will have to change the numbers on some units to get the number of sets that meet their needs.  Either that or they can buy two A units and just one of the Bs.  Most vendors hate that, as that leaves them with orphaned Bs that can be difficult to move, but then there are guys like me who buy them, at bargain prices, mind you, as chassis for bashing projects or cheaters.

The choice of DGLE does provide an alternative to the MP or Arnold tuscan colored units.

David Leonard

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 09:24:14 AM »
Ah yes, the numberboards.  Oddly enough IIRC the Pennsy rebuilt the nose of a wrecked FP7A with an F3 nose with the small numberboards, so to small extent it does depend on road number and era for one unit.

inkaneer

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 10:57:25 AM »
The problem with the Modelpower units is the paint is all wrong.  They used single stripe tuscan.  PRR FP7's had the 5 stripe paint in tuscan and the DGLE single stripe.  Also wish they would go to a knucle coupler and get rid of the Rapido's.  Hate to spend money changing out couplers on new equipment.

One of the beauties of modeling Pennsy is the paint scheme is easy to do.  One color and decals but get the right color.  My Kato E8's have the wrong color of Tuscan Red but I don't dare try to to strip them.  The Model Power units have metal shells and can be stripped easily then redone.  As for the couplers if one uses MT couplers exclusively one is always changing out couplers [unless buying MT products].   But these engines operate very well and pull well too.  I use them for running at Ntrak setups along with my Lifelike C Liners, SD7's, GP18's, and an assortment of FA/B 1 & 2's. 

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8041
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 11:29:45 AM »
I'm more than a little happy about the RDG ones... those will be quite cool to have around, seeing as there are still a number of them around (2 is a number) in excursion service.

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 05:27:33 PM »
Wouldn't mind having a couple RDG myself.  If only someone would do some streamlined Crusader cars to go with them.
Bob Bufkin