Author Topic: Need Some Pullman Heavyweight Car Name Help  (Read 3023 times)

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
Need Some Pullman Heavyweight Car Name Help
« on: May 11, 2007, 05:42:44 PM »
I have several brass Pullman heavyweight cars that are painted in the Pullman Green color with black roofs.  One 3-6, one 12-1 and a 14 section car.  I am looking for cars names to place on these cars.  I've asked this question on some Yahoo sites and as yet have not gotten any great help.  So what names can I use on these cars in use during the mid 50's on the PRR.  My brass tuscan red cars are no problem with names.  And please don't ask me to go to the Pullman Project site.  I have this downloaded but find it tedious to use!
Bob Bufkin

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
Re: Need Some Pullman Heavyweight Car Name Help
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 05:45:01 PM »
dover harbor

www.doverharbor.com

CVSNE

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 07:18:04 PM »
Bob,

Dover Harbor is a good choice.

You could also check out the Branchline Trains website for their HO Pullmans. The names all came from the Pullman list you (and I) find tedious -- and you get to see some neat model photos (albeit HO Scale).

Marty
Modeling (or attempting to model) the Central Vermont circa October 1954  . . .

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 09:31:00 PM »
The Branchline site was some help.  As for the Dover Harbor, what configuration was it in the 50's and was it painted in the Pullman green colors?  I know it was a PRR car at one time and later used on NYC.  I suppose it's configuration used today is different then what it was.  By the way,  where is the Dover Harbor stored today?  Union Station?
Bob

keystonecrossings

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • Middle Division Musings
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 10:15:08 PM »
Bob:

My site is back up now -- after my ISP forced an IP address migration.

Check out my PRR varnish database at...

http://kc.pennsyrr.com/forms/varnish/

It has the entire passenger roster as of 1954.

I suspect you have some Pecos River Brass Pullman cars. I have 15 just as you describe that I will be painting for the current PRR Pro group project.
Jerry Britton, PRRT&HS #6111
PRR Middle Division in HO Scale - http://jbritton.pennsyrr.com
Keystone Crossings - http://pennsyrr.com

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 07:01:16 AM »
The Branchline site was some help.  As for the Dover Harbor, what configuration was it in the 50's and was it painted in the Pullman green colors?  I know it was a PRR car at one time and later used on NYC.  I suppose it's configuration used today is different then what it was.  By the way,  where is the Dover Harbor stored today?  Union Station?
Bob

I don;t know the exact configuration .. but the prez of the chapter works at the same location that I work . I will ask him ..

It is stored in Hanover Md, of Rte 100

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 12:11:50 PM »
Jerry: I know what names to use for PRR cars.  I'm more interested in Pullman cars at that time that were still owned and leased by them.  I've got to get off my butt and do the PRR cars but have been putting it off since I don't look forward to all those stripes.  Hate doing those.
Bob

keystonecrossings

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • Middle Division Musings
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007, 04:44:24 PM »
Jerry: I know what names to use for PRR cars.  I'm more interested in Pullman cars at that time that were still owned and leased by them.  I've got to get off my butt and do the PRR cars but have been putting it off since I don't look forward to all those stripes.  Hate doing those.
Bob

Ah, so what you need is for someone like me to take the Pullman Project data and put it into an interactive database (like my PRR Varnish database) so it is easier to use?
Jerry Britton, PRRT&HS #6111
PRR Middle Division in HO Scale - http://jbritton.pennsyrr.com
Keystone Crossings - http://pennsyrr.com

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2007, 05:55:35 PM »
Not necessary true.  Just trying to find what cars painted in Pullman green around mid 50's.  I find the info you do have on your site to be indispensable and very helpful. 
Bob

3rdrail

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2007, 06:19:40 PM »
Hmmm, any photos I've seen of Sunnyside or Philadelphia Coach Yard from the 1950's seemed to show any non-Tuscan Red Pullmans in the two tone gray scheme (opposite of NYC's) rather than Pullman green, and not very many of those, either.

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2007, 06:53:20 PM »
I've seen photos in the various photo and reference books I have (dozens) of Pullman green cars but can't make out the names.  One source lists PRR heavyweights and shows cars still lettered for Pullman but not what color they are.  I'll keep searching and maybe I'll get lucky and if not, since it's my railroad, I just might fudge it and made some names up that I like.