Author Topic: Weekend Update - 6 May 2007  (Read 7331 times)

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +479
Weekend Update - 6 May 2007
« on: May 06, 2007, 01:02:53 PM »
Well .. its that time again ..

Not much modeling for me .. although I did spend yesterday admiring some great modeling. Baltimore Area NTRAK was invited to visit Howard Zane's layout, the Piermont Division. Howard is a long time modeler who also runs the Great Scale Model Train Shows in Timonium ..

The below link will take you to my Picassa Album. NOTE: There are some scenes on the railroad that may offend some of you. These scenes include nude plastic women models, and other NON POLITICALLY CORRECT  characterizations. I included them in the album in the context that Howard included them on his layout. If you are easily offended, I encourage you NOT to look at the album.

http://picasaweb.google.com/acsxfan1/PiermontDivision?authkey=vTRJGpTHcxM

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +1338
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Weekend Update - 6 May 2007
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 02:45:12 PM »
Yard Progress Report... This Just In...

After three weekends of nearly ceaseless toil, the yard was finally installed to serve the Western Maryland Railway...

The original yard:

Small engine terminal, few and short yard tracks.

Week One:

You can see I incorporated the original yard module into the new plan.  This prevented the need to cut a new hole for the turntable, and to have to re-program the indexing for half of it...

During the week, I laid out the rest of the track, and picked up two more turnouts and a couple of pieces of track.  Aside from those items, the bulk of the materials for the yard were salvaged from old layouts.  Remember, Never Throw Anything Away!

Week Two:

The trackwork was taking shape, and I was starting the basic ballasting.  I waited until I had solder in all the wire drops before I painted the track and ballasted.

During the week, I completed the basic wiring, running a pair of drops from each track section.  Note that the narrow section is to be removable as it is located in front of the window.  It won't be long before the old air conditioner gets installed!

Week Three:
The wiring is completed, including a control buss line, modular connecters for the lift out section, and an accessory line for lighting and the turntable.  On Friday, I took the afternoon off and hauled it all up to the attic layout room.

I've also been tinkering with a backdrop using sections of sheet styrene.  I'm still developing the process, I'll post a separate thread later when I'm happy with the results.

Meanwhile, here's a quick tour of the new yard...

Trains approach the yard via the track on the right, crossing the bridge, then passing the caboose servicing tracks.

The mainline track is ballasted with grey, then there's the main bowl of the yard.  The track on the far left is a stub end staging track for interchange traffic (This is where the giant 0-5-0 grabs cars and sets out new ones...)

RS-3 188 works the lead to the car shop, the red building in the foreground of the above shot.

Power from the neighboring B&O waits on the Ready Track with a lashup of WM diesels.

A look at the turntable area.  I finally have enough room to store almost the entire fleet...

Now I see there are lots of details to build and add to these scenes.
Not bad for three weeks' work.

Lee
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 09:04:53 PM by wm3798 »
Route of the Alpha Jets

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Has a degree in American History & Culture.
  • Respect: +2126
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 02:55:34 PM »
Wow Lee, that's awesome!

It does really underscore how used to Code 55 I've become though!

I'm having trouble picturing where this sits. Is it where the desk was?

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +301
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 03:45:18 PM »
Nice work, Lee!

Amazing modeling and photos in the above link as well! :o

I only managed to get some closeup pics of my kitbashed TTRX Twin-28 spine car that was built from an Alan Curtis 53' spine car kit (Now N Scale Kits). I recently installed some (experimental) collapsible hitches for 1-57'/2-28' spine cars on this car that already had some existing N-01 collapsible hitches. These experimental hitches may be produced if a 57' spine car ever gets produced and if the interest is there.

A-end of car....

Articulation between A and C platforms with two experimental N-03 hitches; one raised and one collapsed...

Articulation between B and C platforms with and experimental N-03 on left and existing N-01 on right...

B end of car with N-01 hitch.....

Russ

« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 03:57:39 PM by tehachapifan »
Russ

SirTainly

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 04:31:48 PM »
Nice Work Russ and Lee. :)

I've progressed a little on my brake sled and my BCOL slug, photos tomorrow since it's a holiday and I plan to get more done then. In the meanwhile I leave you with this photo I took the other week on my winter diorama.

Simon

« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 04:34:17 PM by SirTainly »

nscalesteve

the other side...
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 05:56:18 PM »
...I didn't show you this side of the engine last week, right ?

here we go, a GMM all-weather-window (thank you engineshop for the tip with the Tamiya tool - I was finally able to bend those little f__kers so they stay in shape and square...) and a Sunrise re-railer was added to the model. and on this picture you can see the shortened fuel tank a littlebit better.

Wlal13again

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 06:21:23 PM »
Looks good Steve. What did you use for ballast?
You`ll never find a Philly cheese steak on a menu in Philadelphia. It`s called a cheesesteak and we all know where it`s from...

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +705
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 06:28:28 PM »
Looks good Steve. What did you use for ballast?

He uses WS medium grey.  It is oversized, but looks better in photos than "real rock" since the pieces are large enough not to all stick together and look like tile grout. 

Wlal13again

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 07:01:40 PM »
Thanks Tom.
You`ll never find a Philly cheese steak on a menu in Philadelphia. It`s called a cheesesteak and we all know where it`s from...

nscalesteve

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007, 07:09:22 PM »
Thanks Tom.

thanks Tom...

...Tom did build this nice diorama for me.

dclyde

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2007, 07:30:53 PM »
I installed Digitrax DZ123s in a Bachmann Spectrum F9A/B set after I had a Machinist customer of mine mill the frames for me.  Does that count for something?

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +479
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2007, 07:36:06 PM »
I installed Digitrax DZ123s in a Bachmann Spectrum F9A/B set after I had a Machinist customer of mine mill the frames for me.  Does that count for something?

Sure does .. you just doubled the value of the F9  ;D

Just kidding ..

atsf_arizona

• Crew
  • Respect: +31
    • My PBase Photo album where my Model RR pictures are
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2007, 08:00:48 PM »
SNFF 2007 05 05

Here's my contributions for the week, made with a new camera purchase,
a 2006 Sony DSC-H2: 

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyh2/

Really makes a big difference, replacing my 7 year old
Olympus C-2020 Zoom.  :-)

The color rendition is lot better:

But what really makes the difference is the 12x zoom and the
higher megapixel count:

Enjoy, all, have a good week.
John Sing
Sarasota, FL
http://pbase.com/atsf_arizona
https://web.archive.org/web/20151002184727/home.comcast.net/~j.sing/
========
Modeling the Santa Fe's Peavine Line (Ash Fork -> Phoenix, Arizona) during the 50s and 60s

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +705
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2007, 08:07:41 PM »
Yes John, a really nice difference there.  On the first photo, if you can get the front of the first unit in better focus, that would be a killer shot.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +1338
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2007, 09:00:57 PM »
Yeah, I was debating going ahead and building the yard in C-55, but time and budget dictated that I use the salvaged c-80 stuff I had laying around.

The yard is located in the opposite corner of the room from the paper mill, to the left of Andy's bed.  It's the same corner the original staging yard was.

Great stuff everyone!
Lee
Route of the Alpha Jets

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net