Author Topic: Arrrggg More books  (Read 3899 times)

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
Arrrggg More books
« on: May 04, 2007, 02:59:03 PM »
I just bought 2 Morning Sun books on NYC harbor RR's, Still waiting are a 3 book set of Erie RR facilities. Plus I just now (had to) bought Trackside around Youngstown since it's where I was born. That is around $350 in books. I can stick them on the track, but they don't move when juice is applied.

Anyone else have this same book fetish?

Is there a cheap place to buy Morning Sun?

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
Re: Arrrggg More books
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 03:36:39 PM »
Yeah, I have a lot of books from Morning Sun, as well as a few $65 Signature Press books. 

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 03:41:07 PM »
Do like I sometimes do.  Type in the title and brouse the web.  Now and then I get lucky and get an older book cheaper even with shipping charges.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 06:24:09 PM »
I use Karen's Books for all my railroading needs with the exception of a few gotten through the UPHS . I don't know if there is a cheaper source , but she has excellent service wise , and friendly as all getup . Been using her for 10 years or so I guess .

Richie Dost

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 08:13:08 PM »
The Morning Sun books are the death of me. the MEC and B&M "In color" series was sweet.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 08:45:39 PM »
I bought my harbor books from Karen, I also bought the Ohio Erie facilities book. She e-mailed me that it would be out for a few more months, but I was able to add it to the cart and buy it???

She said I'll get an E-mail when they are available.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 01:54:12 AM »
I paid retail for Trackside on the WM at a gift shop in Cumberland.  It was about $50.  But I figured, what the hay.  I was on vacation in the land of WM steam and CSX goodness, and these folks were kind enough to wave the book under my nose.  It was only right to whip out the AMEX and do what came naturally...

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

SquirrelHollow

• Crew
  • Grease Monkey
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 02:10:11 AM »
If you are having problems getting these 'book' locomotives to operate properly on the track, you may want to try a couple of the following: (as long as you know your transfomer is operating properly)
1. Clean your track
2. Clean your 'book' wheels
3. Check your wheel wipers / pickups
4. If DCC equipped, throw it out the window... trying to hit the neighbor's cat.
5. Check the box.  Make sure it doesn't say "Dummy"

-Robert

Uintah Railway, Utah Railway.

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2007, 08:57:00 AM »
If you are having problems getting these 'book' locomotives to operate properly on the track, you may want to try a couple of the following: (as long as you know your transformer is operating properly)

4. If DCC equipped, throw it out the window... trying to hit the neighbor's cat.

No no no. Thats the wrong way. With DCC you need to check the page numbers to make sure they are in HEX.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

3rdrail

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2007, 10:39:11 AM »
I've spent more on books than trains recently. Just bought two more here at the PRRT&HS convention.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2007, 11:09:24 AM »
I think my total books , not mags , weigh about the same as my total trains . Cost wise the trains far exceed the books .

Richie Dost

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2007, 02:04:42 PM »
I'm still waiting for CR Coror Guide vol 2.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

John Burkush

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2007, 03:57:59 PM »
I just bought 2 Morning Sun books on NYC harbor RR's, Still waiting are a 3 book set of Erie RR facilities. Plus I just now (had to) bought Trackside around Youngstown since it's where I was born. That is around $350 in books. I can stick them on the track, but they don't move when juice is applied.

Anyone else have this same book fetish?

Is there a cheap place to buy Morning Sun?
Yea, same here, we should start a support group.
I was looking for the Lehigh New England and the Lehigh & Hudson River books and I found them
on my annual pilgrimage to Springfield. I have a good portion of the Northeast covered but I most likely
will never get all of them.
Here's something to think about:
After we are gone (we almost always die before our wives) our (hard earned) collections will wind up
in a yard sale for a dollar or two each!!!!!!!!
DANGER ! DANGER! WILL ROBINSON; MY SENSORS INDICATE THE PRESENCE OF CHROME PLATED WARBONNET SANTA FE
F UNITS ! DANGER ! EXTREME DANGER !

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +584
    • My train pics
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2007, 05:21:36 PM »
I hate Morning Sun Books. All those titles that I want... I can't afford them all  ;)

I have a pretty large collection of Morning Sun titles, and other books in general. Maine Central, GTW, CP East, the EL's, the P&LE's are some favorites that come to mind. Plus in the Equipment Color Guides. Can't wait for a few more CN & CP titles. Oh yeah, that Wabash one was great, too.

Hundman/Hyrail have put out some great books. So has Footprint and Greg McDonnell (especially if you're a Canadian/fan of CDN RR's).

Erik W

• Crew
  • Respect: +715
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 02:51:00 PM »
I feel your pain.  I am a bit of a book-a-holic.  Luckily my interest are fairly limited.  I went from 1 D&RGW book to 47 in about two years time.  Some months that used up my entire railroad budget.  I'd probably be done with the layout by now if I hadn't tied up so much money in books! 

Though I've been working daily on scenery on the layout my old interest in WWI aircraft is reemerging (after watching the movie Flyboys).  I bought 19 WWI aircraft books in the last 6 weeks!

Erik