Author Topic: Not so bad... the Athearn Mill Gons  (Read 1103 times)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Has a degree in American History & Culture.
  • Respect: +2237
    • Conrail 1285
Not so bad... the Athearn Mill Gons
« on: April 19, 2007, 10:56:26 PM »
Ok
So I was seriously disappointed by the Athearn 65' gons when they first came out. I had really high hopes, then I saw one, with it's rollered on paint. I was appalled.

Well, a few weeks ago while @ MBK, I noticed that the newer ones were in, and they paint, while still thick, wasn't nearly as bad as the first bunch. So I bought one.

Well, I hit it with some weathering this past weekend, and guess what, it's not so bad!

In fact, I'm pretty happy with it. Now I just need to find a good load for it.

What do you all think?

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +1414
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Not so bad... the Athearn Mill Gons
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 07:36:18 AM »
I think if you knock the fat paint off the stirrup steps, the rest of it is survivable... 
Lee
Route of the Alpha Jets

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Wlal13again

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 07:58:06 AM »
Is it me or is the paint Athearn uses somewhat glossy? I bought a NS bulkhead flat a few weeks ago and the paint seemed too shiny. I dullcoat my cars anyway to weather them, but this one would have needed it even if it was a straight from the shop run..
You`ll never find a Philly cheese steak on a menu in Philadelphia. It`s called a cheesesteak and we all know where it`s from...

jeffsauer1957

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 01:15:31 AM »
I just luv 60' and 65' cars !!!

That first run was dreadful. Every car. I went out and got the CB&Q cars. I was wondering if Athearn's oversea's painting process was set up for a plastic car and the paint reacted differently on the metal ?

Well the GN cars, with almost the identical red paint, from the 2nd run, were much approved.

I look at all of these 1st run cars sitting around on the shelves and from the aisle you can see the dripping paint on every single car without even picking up the packages. I still can't believe Athearn let 'em loose on the market !

I like my GN's !

Jeff