Author Topic: NW5 kitbash?  (Read 6783 times)

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
Re: NW5 kitbash?
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2007, 07:56:07 PM »
Tim, I need some more assistance. What did you do to extend the drive mechinism? the worms in the SW1200 float which makes this project very difficult to lenthen. I was thinking about using a section from a ground down GP20 frame in the cab end. This would allow me to use a universal and bearing blocks to align the worm. What do you think?
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

diezmon

• Crew
  • Do they speak English in "What"?
  • Respect: +264
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2007, 03:44:55 PM »
Tim, I need some more assistance. What did you do to extend the drive mechinism? the worms in the SW1200 float which makes this project very difficult to lenthen. I was thinking about using a section from a ground down GP20 frame in the cab end. This would allow me to use a universal and bearing blocks to align the worm. What do you think?

I didn't have worry about that too much.. When I extended it it still drove the gear well, even though it was floating.  Funny, I remember thinking the same thing, at the same point you're at though!  ;) 

What I'd thought about, if it didn't work floating, was just making my own shaft "bearing" and mounting it just inside the gear above the truck. Just enough pressure on the shaft to keep it from floating up and over the gears.. does that make sense? I didn't really figure a good way to attach it to the frame, because I never had to deal with it :)

You could go the Geep20 route.. that's a pretty good idea.  Remember how narrow the short hood has to be though.  As long as you can file it narrow enough, I would think that would work fine.

I should go grab mine and take it apart.. refresh my memory :)

Tim

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2007, 12:37:35 PM »
Tim, can you repost the line drawing of the NW5? your rail images account has been closed along with the rest of the site.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

diezmon

• Crew
  • Do they speak English in "What"?
  • Respect: +264
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2007, 05:14:09 PM »