Author Topic: Living under a rock..  (Read 2027 times)

SirTainly

• Crew
  • Respect: +54
Living under a rock..
« on: April 20, 2007, 01:27:05 PM »
I think I must have been, when did Bachmann stuff start having low-pro, blackened metal, free rolling wheels ? :o

Just got one of their cranes, and I'm amazed at how freely it rolls.

Train Nutz

Re: Living under a rock..
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 03:59:07 AM »
I hear ya on that Sirtainly,
   I got one of the Santa Fe dome cars with the six wheeled trucks a month ago and I was expecting the large pizza cutters on it. Supprisenly it had low profile wheels on it. Though the trucks never got used as I swapped them out with the passenger MT's. It looks as Bachmann is trying to upgrade some of their low level stuff as some is now being released with their dummy knuckle couplers on it. It would of been a better step in the right direction to put functioning couplers so it would operate like MT, Accumate, etc., and not have to lift the car up to couple and/or uncouple. Maybe in another 10 years, they'll get it right?
Train Nutzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz  ::)

RS-27

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 04:30:39 AM »
Hmmm, thirty years ago, B'mns would roll down a 0.5% slope.  Their die work was as good as anyone else's at that point (nobody had _good_ paint and graphics). 

My main gripe is thirty years on, there has been no new (well maybe 20 years) rolling stock.  I recently bought some Centerflows (actually a fair model of CF4600 plate B cars, once you make it a 3 bay and put on trough hatches...). 

I was surprised by the trucks, nice finish and still rolled as well as the original,  36" diameter wheels, but they are those funky semi Andrews without the strap under the journal boxes.  Almost any style of rollerbearing would be better.

Bob in IDaho

Nelson

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 09:57:51 AM »
I think I must have been, when did Bachmann stuff start having low-pro, blackened metal, free rolling wheels ? :o

I have some train set passenger cars of theirs that have the blackened low-pros, and I think they are at least 10 years old.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +540
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 04:18:41 PM »
As for the "non-pizza cutter flanges", Bachmann has been using them at least since the early 1980s.

SirTainly

• Crew
  • Respect: +54
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 04:40:02 PM »
Wow..all I can say is it shows just how old my other Bachmann stuff is..I didn't realise just how antique it was.

Train Nutz

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 04:20:39 AM »
I guess that pretty much dictates how long it's been since I bought any Bachmann rolling stock. I thought the low profiles were something new but if they been using  those for about 10yrs.....were did all that time go???  :o
Train Nutzzzzzzzzzzzz