Author Topic: More New Atlas Box Cars .  (Read 3615 times)

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
More New Atlas Box Cars .
« on: April 09, 2007, 01:49:28 AM »
   The new Atlas "USRA Rebuilt Steel Box Car" models are now out. Once again Atlas out does Micro Train on a 1-10 scale these cars are an 11-12. Correct details for the various roads offered, correct trucks for these roads some with colored side frames, nice low body ride height, again opening doors with wood floor inside, two different car numbers so far for us Operator types, if you are a Santa Fe modeler you need a S**t Pot of these as they operated a huge fleet of rebuilt wood cars into the 1960's era. The other roads offered are not bad either, P.R.R. very spiffy looking, U.P. veddy nice, and the DK. Green   E.J. & E. car with orange lettering wow! Only down side couplers are truck mounted. They could have been the first manufacturer to do body mounts and maybe even a scale sized coupler on these and their other two recient box car releases Single Sheathed and Double Sheathed Wood cars.                            Nate Goodman (Nato). Salt Lake, Utah.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5476
Re: More New Atlas Box Cars .
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 02:09:59 AM »
I noticed a lot of places are sold out of these already!

They are nice.

About the  EJ&E car, I have one. I also have a color photo of a different type of EJ&E green boxcar and the lettering is yellow not orange.

I'll let it be though, they are nice cars.

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1233
    • Modutrak
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 10:14:50 AM »
I noticed a lot of places are sold out of these already!

They are nice.

About the  EJ&E car, I have one. I also have a color photo of a different type of EJ&E green boxcar and the lettering is yellow not orange.

I'll let it be though, they are nice cars.

Orange should be correct on these cars.  It looks a little dark, but it may just be a scale factor thang.  That tiny printing gets sucked into the dark green.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +529
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 11:13:49 AM »
   The new Atlas "USRA Rebuilt Steel Box Car" models are now out. Once again Atlas out does Micro Train on a 1-10 scale these cars are an 11-12. Correct details for the various roads offered, correct trucks for these roads some with colored side frames, nice low body ride height, again opening doors with wood floor inside, two different car numbers so far for us Operator types,

I just picked up my VTR version this weekend. Only downside is the Accumate truck with the coupler that sticks out too much - I'll be replacing them with MTs. ::)

I eyeballed the newest Atlas wood boxcars - the couplers on those trucks appear to stick out the proper amount. ;D

amato1969

• Crew
  • Respect: +830
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 10:59:33 AM »
These look sweet and are perfect for my 1960 era.  Need to get an order sent to my pusher, uh, I mean supplier!

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 07:43:43 PM »
These are great looking cars.  I have 2 PRR and 1 UP and plan on getting more.  I do have a question concerning the original USRA cars.  I have both an Atlas and a Micro Trains.  Was wondering which cars you like best?  The biggest difference in these cars is the doors.
Bob

3rdrail

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 07:50:42 PM »
I am not familiar with any MTL rebuilt USRA boxcars. MTL makes USRA single sheathed and double sheathed boxcars, and a 1923 ARA designed car, but only Atlas has made the model of the wood sided cars that had steel sheathing added in the 1930's and 1940's.

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 08:39:33 PM »
Your right.  I was talking about the older wood sheathed cars and the comparison between the Atlas and Micro Trains.
Bob

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 10:32:13 PM »
MTL makes USRA steel boxes (not rebuilt) 12000 series. I forget what vintage they are (1923?)

3rdrail

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 09:10:53 AM »
MTL makes USRA steel boxes (not rebuilt) 12000 series. I forget what vintage they are (1923?)

The United States Railroad Administration (USRA) returned the railroads to their stockholder owners in 1920 and ceased to exist. The 1923 cars are the American Railway Association designed car. USRA designed a steel boxcar of which AFAIK none were built.

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 11:41:52 AM »
so the boxes that MT calls USRA aint USRA? hehe  ::)

FrankCampagna

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 04:35:55 PM »
The United States Railroad Administration (USRA) returned the railroads to their stockholder owners in 1920 and ceased to exist. The 1923 cars are the American Railway Association designed car. USRA designed a steel boxcar of which AFAIK none were built.

The New York Central and subsidiaries had something like 20,000 cars based on this design. Contemporary of the X-29. Frank
"Once I built a railroad, made it run......."

NYC1956

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
Trucks under new Atlas USRA box cars
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 05:06:45 PM »
As others have noted, the new box cars seem to have a variety of different trucks. Some have Accumate couplers that don’t extend so far beyond the end of the car as previous versions did.
In comparing what I just received (with one exception) all cars (the steel rebuilts and the double sheathed cars) seem to be equipped with Andrews trucks with a newer draft gear box that makes the coupler shank appear shorter. The one exception is the T&P steel rebuilt car that has Bettendorf (50-ton) trucks. These 50-ton trucks have the Accumates that extend too far to allow a realistic coupling distance.
So what’s going on? Have the Andrews (40-ton) trucks been re-designed? If so, I would like to see part numbers so I can get more. These look so-o-o much better than the original design. Are the Bettendorf (50-ton) trucks being upgraded, too?
The on-line parts list only shows 22076 40-ton friction bearing trucks @ $3.85 (I assume these are the original Accumate-equipped Andrews , although there is no explanation).
The only other friction bearing trucks listed are 50-ton trucks:
22050 with Rapidos @ $2.95
22051 with Accumates @ $3.85
22061 friction bearing caboose trucks @ $2.95
Modeling the NYC of the early 1950s

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5476
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007, 05:53:13 PM »
The Atlas Andrews trucks are all new, how did they re-design them already?

Plus notice that the cars with the Andrews trucks sit a hair lower, the truck bolster sits lower.

NYC1956

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2007, 08:34:49 AM »
The Andrews trucks first appeared on the USRA single sheathed wood box cars.
Cory Rothlisberger says he modified the design of the Andrews trucks.
They no longer accept Rapidos, but the coupler shanks don't extend out so far.
He plans to upgrade all the trucks with the redesigned coupler pocket.
Anyway, now we have four choices for friction bearing trucks from Atlas:
The 40-ton, 50-ton, AND Andrews trucks (plus caboose trucks).
I hope Atlas makes all of these available as separate parts.
Has anyone identified the prototypes for the 40-ton and 50-ton trucks?
-Mike
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 11:46:04 AM by NYC1956 »
Modeling the NYC of the early 1950s