Author Topic: Looking for Hallmark GP-9 part.  (Read 1401 times)

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +753
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Looking for Hallmark GP-9 part.
« on: April 17, 2007, 02:27:52 AM »
Does anyone have any Hallmark shelf queens that they have parted out?  I'm trying to resurrect a old GP-9, but have tonight found out that one of the universal shafts has gone missing.  I know some people don't bother with these old brass models due to their finickiness and was hoping parts could be out there somewhere.  AFAIK, there are at least two shaft lengths.  It looks like the short one fits the F and RS units, and the longer one I require, fits the GPs.

Any other source for these parts would be welcomed as well.

Thank you,

Jason

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +3338
Re: Looking for Hallmark GP-9 part.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 04:10:26 AM »
NWSL

Do you have a photo of the broken part? I might have the parts right here.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +753
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 05:40:43 PM »
The only thing I found at the NWSL site is their universal coupler set.  I have the 1.5mm shaft set which would work off the motor.  I would have to see if there is a 1mm set for the worm shaft.  I'm going to hold out hope that I can find a direct replacement from one of the many brass locos no longer in operation.

The Hallmark universal shaft looks like a generic part that was cut to length with a sliding 'keyed' shaft to accout for the turning trucks.  The ends attach to ball joints at the motor and the worm.

Jason

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +3338
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 06:00:30 PM »
I'd have to look it up to see if NWSL sells 1mm couplers, but I have taken the 1.5mm couplers and used tubing to sleeve the 1mm shaft up to 1.5mm. Just find tubing with an OD of 1.5mm and use small reamers to get the ID to be 1mm.

http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=26108

You can then use some 1.5mm shafting to make the "dog bone" to any length needed.

If your interested in trying this I can dig up the right sized sleeving for your 1mm worm shaft. Or if the chassis is running other than that coupler I'd be willing to fix it for you, should be pretty easy.