Author Topic: Micro-Train's Runner Pack #1  (Read 3065 times)

POVC

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
Micro-Train's Runner Pack #1
« on: April 13, 2007, 11:07:16 PM »
I stopped by MB Klein's (my last pilgrimage to model train mecca) on my way to Timonium to pick up a couple of things they were holding for me.  One of them was my Micro-Train's runner pack; I ordered Pack #1 (PRR boxcars).

I tell you, I'm impressed!  These come in a nice cardboard box with graphics on the lid; inside the 4 jewel cases are held securely by a plastic insert.  Cars are typical MT cars, paint and lettering are very well done.  And the best part is that the MSRP is on $50 (or $12.50 a car) and they can be had on the street for under $40 ($10/car), which is an excellent price for a Micro-Trains car.  Especially considering a get the car in 4 different road numbers.

I haven't ordered any of the others, because they aren't things I can use, but I will be ordering more if they continue with releases like this one.

Tim Nixon

ljudice

Re: Micro-Train's Runner Pack #1
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 11:19:20 PM »
It would be nice to see a set of the three bay hoppers in NS or the 56' tank cars in ADM...

umtrr-author

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 07:24:42 PM »
Photos of Micro-Trains Runner Pack #1 have been posted to the Unofficial Micro-Trains Release Report site:

http://www.irwinsjournal.com/umtrr

"Coverage" of the packaging as well as the cars is available, as is a "family portrait" of the various releases of this particular car.  Interesting comparison!

Have a look at your leisure.

Note that this isn't the "usual" monthly update; that's still pending and I'll also announce when that is available.

inkaneer

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 09:24:17 AM »
It appears that the "runner pack" will be a collector's item.  Limited production and only enough to fill pre orders.  Nice packaging and at a price that won't break the wallet.  I see they are now up to runner pack #6 which is a four pack of Wabash boxcars. 

Allentown Hump

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 10:01:18 AM »
How long before we see an N-Trak club running a train of consecutive "Runner Packs"?  ;D ;D ;D
A-Town Hump

"I believe the technical term for you would be 'a$$hat extraordinaire'."

TrainCat2

• Crew
  • I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
  • Respect: +802
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 10:48:54 AM »
How long before we see an N-Trak club running a train of consecutive "Runner Packs"?  ;D ;D ;D
You would get shot for that remark at a NSC Convention.
Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

Allentown Hump

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 11:27:13 AM »

I'm still waiting for the pictures of the MT Scale Test Car N-Trak train...  ;) :D
A-Town Hump

"I believe the technical term for you would be 'a$$hat extraordinaire'."

inkaneer

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 12:15:18 PM »

I'm still waiting for the pictures of the MT Scale Test Car N-Trak train...  ;) :D

Don't laugh.  I have seen a unit train of Lifesavers, a unit train of Heinz pickles and a unit train of Oscar Meyer hot dogs.  Then there was the unit train of Bathtub gondolas using doll house furniture bathtubs [complete with faucets].  Hey, with 10 packs of MT trucks and couplers available we are only limited by our imaginations.   

Skip

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 12:41:38 PM »
I sometimes run my unit train of Pespi cars complete with the locomotive and of course the Pepsi caboose.

3rdrail

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 03:31:41 PM »
Hey, back in the steam and transition era, one could see multiple car blocks of Swift and Oscar Mayer meat reefers on some railroads, so the Oscar Mayer unit train is at least plausible if unlikely. There are photos of such blocks in Don Ball's The Pennsylvania Railroad - The 1940's and 1950's.

inkaneer

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 03:56:49 PM »
Hey, back in the steam and transition era, one could see multiple car blocks of Swift and Oscar Mayer meat reefers on some railroads, so the Oscar Mayer unit train is at least plausible if unlikely. There are photos of such blocks in Don Ball's The Pennsylvania Railroad - The 1940's and 1950's.

These weren't Oscar Meyer reefers in the unit train.  They were hot dogs, in buns no less.  Apparently someone got their hands on some Oscar Meyer promotional material.  After all they did have the Hot Dogmobile.  Still do, I think.

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 04:34:27 PM »
I sometimes run my unit train of Pespi cars complete with the locomotive and of course the Pepsi caboose.

I will admit to owning a couple of Pepsi cars .. I got them real cheap, and hope to strip them down some day for a real modeling project .. I do have a Pepsi trailer on the intermodal train though

umtrr-author

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007, 06:22:49 PM »
Yes, the 1:1 Scale "Weinermobile" still exists; I believe there are several copies roaming around the country.  Occassionally it shows up in this area.

I've seen individual N Scale cars of this type, and the Life Savers, but not an entire train. 

POVC

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2007, 09:08:25 PM »

One member of our club delights in running the Micro-Trains fantasy stuff...
At Christmas it's the Christmas cars (5 engines, followed by 10 cars, then 5 cabooses looks wierd)...
Then it's the Smokey the Bear cars....
Then a train of the popsicle stuff...
At the Timonium show last weekend, he would have had the NSC crowd dropping dead from apoplectic shock - he ran his MT State car train; all 48 cars released to date (including IL and CA), led by an FT-A/B combo with the state caboose on the end.  SInce he's not a member of the NSC, he doesn't have the "Not a State" cars, but if he did they would have been in the train too.

Tim

PS. As stated earlier, I bought Runner Pack #1 - I bought it to run, not to collect.