Author Topic: A code 55 Naugatuck Valley track plan?  (Read 2896 times)

JimF

A code 55 Naugatuck Valley track plan?
« on: April 10, 2007, 06:35:55 PM »
Has anyone seen a Atlas code 55 version of the Naugatuck Valley track plan? The NV is MR's assoc. editor David Popp's layout, 1st shown in the Jan. '03 MR.

Jim F

Allentown Hump

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Re: A code 55 Naugatuck Valley track plan?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 08:11:06 AM »
Yea, it's in one of the MR's...
A-Town Hump

"I believe the technical term for you would be 'a$$hat extraordinaire'."

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 08:17:01 AM »
If I remember right David used flex track on that layout. Think all track was Peco. I have all the articles on it if you need me to dig around for something.

Shouldn't be hard to do with Atlas C55, but using sectional track would take some trial & error.

wiking

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 09:08:00 AM »
I just got a new book on building this layout. It is great. It has all the info from the past issues of MR in one place. I highly recomend it for those of us who are building our layouts. It has many topics that might help at some point.   Alan

Skip

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 09:32:17 AM »
And the title of the book is?

JimF

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 11:57:11 AM »
The book's title is "Building A Model Railroad Step By Step", by David Popp.

The reason for my original question is that David built the layout using Peco code 55 flex track and turnouts. He did so because the plan is designed to use a few curved TOs. Since Atlas doesn't make such, I was wondering if it is possible to change the plan so it uses straight TOs. Perhaps by lengthening the layout?

JimF

wiking

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 11:59:35 AM »
The name of the book is Building a Model Railroad Step by Step by David popp published by kalmbach publishing. Alan

diezmon

• Crew
  • Do they speak English in "What"?
  • Respect: +264
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 10:18:27 AM »
The book's title is "Building A Model Railroad Step By Step", by David Popp.

The reason for my original question is that David built the layout using Peco code 55 flex track and turnouts. He did so because the plan is designed to use a few curved TOs. Since Atlas doesn't make such, I was wondering if it is possible to change the plan so it uses straight TOs. Perhaps by lengthening the layout?

JimF

why not still use the curved PECO TO's?  they should be able to make with atlas, without too much trouble.

JimF

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 03:30:01 PM »

why not still use the curved PECO TO's?  they should be able to make with atlas, without too much trouble.
[/quote]

Besides the obvious difference in the look of the track, the tie height and rail web of the Peco track makes it less compatible than using it with Atlas code 80. I don't want to give up the look of the Atlas code 55 turnouts, either.

I emailed my question to MR and got a reply back, from david Popp himself. He thinks using #7 urnouts in plce of the curved ones, and placing them before the curve, will work.

Jim F