Author Topic: Athearn Mack B trucks  (Read 1815 times)

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +182
Athearn Mack B trucks
« on: April 10, 2007, 10:42:40 AM »
Got a Mack B dump and cement mixer this weekend. They look nice, though someone said they are smaller than scale - I havent pulled out the scale rule yet.

I bought mine in minimal schemes (why don't they offer these without lettering?) thinking it will be simple to remove the lettering with some rubbing alcohol - haven't tried that yet though.

Every wheel on mine has a bump where the wheel was separated from the sprue - I will have to get an exacto knife out and trim each of the wheels. ::)

One problem seemingly on all the dump trucks in the store (even more so on the Mack R dumps) was that on many of them the cab seems to "angle upwards" compare to the rest of the truck. After unwrapping mine I was able to delicately "bend" it back to level.  :-X (Crappy QC)

One question for the truckers: is the large "hump" in the front of the dump "bed" prototypical? (see pic below):

http://www.featherrivertrains.com
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 11:13:46 AM by NandW »

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Has a degree in American History & Culture.
  • Respect: +2126
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Athearn Mack B trucks
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 10:53:19 AM »
I've never driven a truck, but I think that's where the hydraulic cylinder that does the "dumping" attaches.

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 10:59:33 AM »
I've never driven a truck, but I think that's where the hydraulic cylinder that does the "dumping" attaches.

I have driven trucks, but not dump trucks. ;)

This is what I'm used to:

Perhaps there are different types?

Ahh, found one:

« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 11:02:37 AM by NandW »

Nelson

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 11:09:12 AM »
It just depends on the style of dump mechanism used:

soo

• Crew
  • Respect: +103
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 03:41:44 PM »
That steel box is used to allow space for the lifting hydraulics, The trucks that athearn based off of are used for heavy loads, such as coal field work and the like.

Adios WYT

Wlal13again

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 04:42:21 PM »
Mack R and B model were a bit on the small side in 1/1. I`ve never measured mine out but that could account for the "smallish" look.
You`ll never find a Philly cheese steak on a menu in Philadelphia. It`s called a cheesesteak and we all know where it`s from...

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 05:33:26 PM »
Mack R and B model were a bit on the small side in 1/1. I`ve never measured mine out but that could account for the "smallish" look.

They look OK to me. The small comments were by others. Gonna measure them anyway. ;)

Walkercolt

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 10:05:53 PM »
Mack's have small cabs on both their conventionals and thier COE's. I always felt they were harder to get in and out of than most other trucks too. Galleon dump beds usually have the box for the hydraulic piston in them...some others don't.

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +509
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 07:52:04 PM »
The cab on the Mack B is about the same size as a modern F150.
Dan's Train Company
Forcing grandma to make my trains since 2019.