Author Topic: All Door Box Car  (Read 2328 times)

Skip

All Door Box Car
« on: April 18, 2007, 08:01:32 AM »
Did anyone other than Red Caboose make an all door box car such as this?  I need several of them and they will all be repainted for my railroad.

http://www.ginosrailpage.com/DOS/CACVDOBOXCAR.jpg

3rdrail

Re: All Door Box Car
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 08:11:55 AM »
Quality Craft, then Gloor Craft, made a wood, white metal, and wire craftsman kit of these many years back. I have not even seen one listed on eBay.

Walkercolt

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 01:21:18 AM »
I've got several of the all-door Red Caboose cars at the store. Call me at 918-298-4800 Thursday or Friday from Noon til 6PM CDT if you're interested in them. Ricky

txronharris

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 06:17:11 PM »
I've got several of the Red Caboose cars new in box that I'd sell ya if your interested. Of course with the "Railwire" discount. Email or PM me and we'll talk.

lv4142003

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 06:50:07 PM »
I thought Red Caboose was doing a CACV all door boxcar in the black scheme. The car you posted has different end doors than the RC car. Model Railroader magazine had an article on the Fonda, Johnstown & Gloversville RR (probably 2 decades ago) that also had an article on making those exact cars from LifeLike all door boxcars in HO scale. Repalced the end sliding doors with sheet styrene with dimensional styrene for the ribs. Did LL make them in N scale along with the PRR X58? lv4142003

ljudice

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 07:48:39 PM »
It was ConCor that did the X58 in N-scale....

Life Like did the Penn Central Evans X72 boxcars....

RS-27

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 03:22:51 AM »
Quality Craft, then Gloor Craft, made a wood, white metal, and wire craftsman kit of these many years back. I have not even seen one listed on eBay.

If anyone _really_ wants one for their collection, I'd gotten one some years back...  Except as a piece of history(?), they weren't much, even when new.

Bob in IDaho

Skip

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 09:59:24 AM »
I thought Red Caboose was doing a CACV all door boxcar in the black scheme. The car you posted has different end doors than the RC car. Model Railroader magazine had an article on the Fonda, Johnstown & Gloversville RR (probably 2 decades ago) that also had an article on making those exact cars from LifeLike all door boxcars in HO scale. Repalced the end sliding doors with sheet styrene with dimensional styrene for the ribs. Did LL make them in N scale along with the PRR X58? lv4142003

Not being a rivet counter, the RC cars will work for me after I paint and patch and weather them.  I have the magazine article (August 1979) and there is a lot of interesting things in it about my railroad.  I am not using that track plan, but some of the ideas.  Its a real neat shortline.

I bought 6 of them from Ricky.

I will post pictures when I get done with them.

randgust

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 03:02:08 PM »
I did a Gloor Craft (Quality Craft) all-door box as my very first Craftsman car kit, gee, about 1974 or 1975 or so.

I distinctly remember how much work it was.  Particularly filling all the wood parts to look like steel.  Wood does a great job of wood, pretty poor on steel!

If you want a car without all that nasty cast-on plastic detail, nice wire door parts, and proper end details, this is the car for you.  But I wouldn't make another one even if you paid me!

I still run the car today and it is one of my all-time favorites.