Author Topic: DCC Front Light Issue  (Read 1507 times)

dclyde

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
DCC Front Light Issue
« on: April 07, 2007, 05:28:36 PM »
I was kind of hoping for some pointers on this one.

I have two decoders (1 Lenz and 1 Digitrax) that won't turn on the headlight for any reason.  I have tried setting CV33 & CV34 to various combinations of 1 & 2 to no avail.  The DOT is set properly but the front lights just won't come on for anything.  I know that the lights are operational as I tested both before and after installation.  Both sister units are functioning fine.  I have tried the lights in both consisted to their respective sister units and stand alone.  I have also tried doing a factory reset on them which also netted me nothing.  I also ensured that the blue wire was connected to the common + and white connected to the - and still nothing.

Any thoughts or comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5400
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: DCC Front Light Issue
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 06:47:50 PM »
Just for grins, try reversing the connections to the LED's.  I've had a bunch that look like they're connected right, but no light.  Reverse the connections, and voila!

It's also possible that there's something amiss in the decoder itself, You can check that by wiring a 16v grain of wheat bulb to it.  If it still doesn't light, then the decoder is shot.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

dclyde

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 06:48:04 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  Did you also reverse the resistor?  It seems to me that your would have to keep the resistor consistant with the blue (common +).  Is this correct?

Thanks,

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5400
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 07:48:18 AM »
I'll take a look, but generally, no.  Some work one way, and some work the other.  I'm not an electronics guy, so I have no idea why.  I just know when the light comes on!

Test it and see what happens.  If you blow out the LED, let me know.  I have a bunch in the parts box.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net