Author Topic: Have you seen this decal making kit?  (Read 1747 times)

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
Have you seen this decal making kit?
« on: April 05, 2007, 03:42:17 PM »

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Have you seen this decal making kit?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 04:17:28 PM »
I wish folks ( businesses ) would stop calling stickers and dry transfers , decals .

I think my printer and or program is designed to print things in a size that is not N scale . Anything that is of a useful size for reporting marks or smaller comes out too fuzzy on my Epson C-88 .

I would however , like to see the WHITE results . Tom , I hope somebody tries and shares the systems abilities .

Richie Dost

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 04:45:49 PM »
I'd take dry transfers any day. Sometimes hard to line up, but no decal film. I've always wondered how dry transfers were made.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5404
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 08:13:09 PM »
I've used dry transfers for lots of things.  They're pretty easy to work with, and you can reproduce pretty small graphics with them.  However, they're at their best on a smooth surface.  Any kind of surface detail gets in the way of a clean "rub down" and can distort the image.

The billboard lettering and the road number are dry transfers.  The rest are from Microscale decal sets.

I used the same set of billboard lettering on this, which was a pain to align with the ribs, but a little time and a little patience brought out results that were good enough to obliterate with weathering and a restencil...

You can rub the lettering onto decal film, then seal them with decal finisher.  It gets to be a little thick though.

I had them made at Advance Litho in Baltimore.  I'm not sure if they're even around anymore.

They've held up extremely well.  I had them made in 1991 or thereabouts, and I still have occasion to use them.  I keep them in a ziploc bag to keep the cat hair to a minimum, and to keep them from drying out.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

rschaffter

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 10:04:46 PM »
Tom

I got some of their white transfer foil to try making white decals with the laser printer on decal paper(I got the white foil from Circuit Specialties; they sell it for lettering PC boards) .  It works, but on N Scale size lettering it fills the holes in letters.  I used an iron since I didn't have a laminator; that might make a difference.