Author Topic: Weekend Update - April 1, 2007  (Read 7424 times)

3rdrail

Weekend Update - April 1, 2007
« on: April 01, 2007, 11:01:06 AM »
It is with some trepidation that I open this topic today, considering the date. I am hopeful however, that the tales of N scale live steam complete with working stokers and injectors, or hand spiked Code 25 rail in working interlockings will not totally overwhelm honest accounts of modeling and railfanning activity for the past week.

Oh, have y'all heard tha Norfolk Southern Corp. and CSX Corp. plan to merge. The new company will be NSX, or NoSeX! See the first sentence of this topic... ;D ;D ;D

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
Re: Weekend Update - April 1, 2007
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 11:10:26 AM »
Real N scale code 25 here:
http://whiteriverandnorthern.net/clinic_03.htm

I should be finishing up my HH660, but I've been drawing 3 way turnouts in CAD instead.

umtrr-author

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 11:19:15 AM »
I'm switching to 1:1 scale.  I'm tired of reviewing 1:160 and 1:220 models and listening to and reading the constant whining about this or that detail being wrong and paint jobs being foobies. 

This way I can certify everything I own is completely accurate.

Happy 4/1.

SirTainly

• Crew
  • Respect: +54
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 11:58:02 AM »
Well the April Fool here is the weather..it's like May or June not April.  :o

Relayed some track on the garden layout, and took a lot of photos on the little diorama I made last weekend. I also used Helicon focus for the first time but I need to practise with it a bit more though, so the photos below are au naturelle.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 02:59:48 PM by SirTainly »

randgust

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 12:19:45 PM »
Got my set of Woodland Scenics N scale cats in (no joke, either).  Despite the skeptics over on the "A" board, if you're careful where you place them, they show up rather nicely:

I saved the yellow one for a special spot.  Verne Niner gave me 'retirement custody" of N Scale Norm, Sue, and Sparky.  They're living outside of Flagstaff, in the low-rent district, seeing as how Norm went broke in the mining business after many successful years on the ATSF.  But they've decided to take in another mouth to feed, 'Chico' the cat:

Chico has to fend for himself, and found his own dinner, which he proudly shows off:

The actual mouse is a tiny 3" scrap of .010 wire with a human hair glued on for a tail.

tokenbrit

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 02:12:56 PM »
.. took a lot of photos on the little diorama I made last weekend...

Looking good - both this set of pix & last week's.

What track are you using?

engineshop

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
    • http://www.engineshop.org
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 02:53:42 PM »
I made some progress with my container crane. For more pictures check the Scratchbuilding forum. This is one of the two pillars white light installed.

SirTainly

• Crew
  • Respect: +54
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 03:02:37 PM »

Looking good - both this set of pix & last week's.

thanks, believe it or not...Peco code 80 that was left in my scrap box. I didn't want to use up the Atlas 55 I'm saving for my full layout as it's hard to get shipped over due to the size of box it requires.

tokenbrit

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 03:11:19 PM »

thanks, believe it or not...Peco code 80 that was left in my scrap box.

Challenger-compliant permanent way :)

GonzoCRFan

• Crew
  • Respect: +117
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 03:52:01 PM »
I'll gladly be the first on this board to wish a happy freakin' birthday to CONRAIL! Happy 31st, Big Blue!

I haven't done anything this weekend (yet), but here's what I did on Thursday:

That is yours truly sitting in the engineer's seat of Conrail 4022, as she sat at the engine terminal at Pavonia Yard in Camden. On Friday she left for Allentown, and ultimately will go to the BR&W to be repainted as Erie 833. I'll eventually have more photos from the trip posted in a bit of a photo-essay.
Sean

Zox

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
    • Lord Zox's Home Page
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2007, 08:08:16 PM »
Given that I'm running out of time to get my bridge module ready for the Timonium show (April 14-15), I figured I'd better give up on decorating the bridge and get on with some woodworking. :)

This weekend, I got the frame and legs mostly built, and sat the top and bridge in place for this shot:

I'll update my "ICRR Bridge" thread as soon as I get a chance  to compose something coherent... :)
Rob M., a.k.a. Zox
z o x @ v e r i z o n . n e t
http://lordzox.com/
It is said a Shaolin chef can wok through walls...

nscalesteve

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2007, 08:22:48 PM »
...I did start with some NS engines this week but unfortunately we have had a lot of rain, A LOT of rain and so most of the time I was cleaning the bush and drive way.

but at least the decals are ready...  ;D ;D

keystonecrossings

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • Middle Division Musings
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2007, 08:32:35 PM »
I know all about deadlines for shows, Zox... keep at it!
Jerry Britton, PRRT&HS #6111
PRR Middle Division in HO Scale - http://jbritton.pennsyrr.com
Keystone Crossings - http://pennsyrr.com

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2007, 08:33:01 PM »

Yesterday I visited with my friend John in Carroll County, and we got started on finishing a layout he started but never finished... :-X

He's managed to build two raffle layouts for his church in the last two years, so we figured that it was time to get the old platform out that he started many years ago and get started on the track work.

As usual you can't get anything started without a trip to the hobby store to get the things you know you already have, but can't seem to get your hands on at the moment, so we jumped in the car with out kids, and headed up to Tommy Gilberts in Gettysburg.  While there, I added a couple more landmarks to my photo gallery...

In particular, the Gettysburg station once used by the Western Maryland.  I had built a card-stock model of that some years ago...

(visible on the right in the 1985 view above)

Not much new on the WM layout.  Added a few freight cars to the roster through some good luck on E-bay, and picked up some detail parts while at Tommy's on Saturday.  He's still got the greatest shop around for walking in and finding what you need hanging on the rack.  Finally saw some of Bernie's signal bridges... mighty tempting!

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

SAH

• Crew
  • Respect: +1259
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2007, 09:15:07 PM »
A hedge row between the NKP / AC&Y transfer track and and the "lucky" folks who live by the tracks.  The bare version of this hedge is on the "More Bare Trees" thread.  Jury's still out on this one.  I think I need a different leaf material.  I used ground foam.  I might have made the hedge too tall as well but it does serve as a way to focus the attention trackside and away from the backdrop.

NKP 352 in the lead proto photo in the NKP SD9 Detailing thread would be on the track paralleling the hedge, having just cleared the cross over.