Author Topic: Solvent for CA? (Plus Athearn gondola pics)  (Read 2926 times)

GonzoCRFan

• Crew
  • Respect: +117
Solvent for CA? (Plus Athearn gondola pics)
« on: April 01, 2007, 11:00:15 PM »
I spent some time today trying to re-attach the stirrups that broke off my Athearn mill gondola last weekend while removing the last of the paint with extreme prejudice. While doing that, I managed to glue my finger to the car, which left a nice blob of CA on the metal carbody.

So, what solvent is best for removing the stuff?

And since I know the topic was brought up several months ago, here are pics of the finally-stripped car:

Sean

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Solvent for CA? (Plus Athearn gondola pics)
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 11:41:48 PM »
Because I know you have a bunch of it floating around, use nail polish remove.

... or acetone.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 11:55:35 PM »
There really is detail under all that paint!  :o

Nail polish remover
Acetone
CA de-bonder

all the same.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 12:13:42 AM »
What did you use to strip the paint , was it hard to get off , and how long did it take .

Richie Dost

GonzoCRFan

• Crew
  • Respect: +117
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 12:58:37 AM »
What did you use to strip the paint , was it hard to get off , and how long did it take .

Well...I let the thing soak in brake fluid for about 3 months...and then scrubbed it with a wire brush.

THAT DIDN'T WORK.

So I went to the local bLowe's and bought a can of paint stripper that has methylene chloride in it. I let the car soak in it for about 5 minutes and that accomplished more than the previous 5 or so months of ELO and brake fluid had. A couple soakings and scrubbings and I was finally down to bare metal.

I really would love to know what Athearn did to make the paint stick to that metal so damn well. The car is pretty nice, it's just a shame they muck it up so badly with all that paint.
Sean

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 01:31:06 AM »

Well...I let the thing soak in brake fluid for about 3 months...and then scrubbed it with a wire brush.

THAT DIDN'T WORK.

So I went to the local bLowe's and bought a can of paint stripper that has methylene chloride in it. I let the car soak in it for about 5 minutes and that accomplished more than the previous 5 or so months of ELO and brake fluid had. A couple soakings and scrubbings and I was finally down to bare metal.

I really would love to know what Athearn did to make the paint stick to that metal so damn well. The car is pretty nice, it's just a shame they muck it up so badly with all that paint.

Thanks , I have to go to Home Depot this week anyway ( what else is new ) so I will buy some stripper for the pair I have .  ;D :-[

Richie Dost

inkaneer

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 09:15:34 AM »
When you repaint that car wash it in soapy water ands dry.  Then spray it with gray auto primer.  That will give the some "tooth" for the final coat of paint  to adhere to.  I had lots of problems painting bare metal until I used the auto primer.

Lenny53

• Crew
  • Respect: +1560
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 12:02:30 PM »
I let the car soak in it for about 5 minutes and that accomplished more than the previous 5 or so months of ELO and brake fluid had.
The Electric Light Orchestra strips paint?   ;D

Nelson

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 12:44:10 PM »

Well they did try their hand at Disco with "Last Train to London" and if you play that loud enough it will peel the paint off of almost everything ;D

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 02:52:31 PM »
many thanks for the pix! I was wondering what was under all that goop.

lashedup

• Crew
  • Respect: +108
    • Model 160
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2007, 04:09:35 PM »

Well they did try their hand at Disco with "Last Train to London" and if you play that loud enough it will peel the paint off of almost everything ;D

LOL

You guys made my day.