Author Topic: Whats wrong with the picture ..  (Read 4682 times)

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: Whats wrong with the picture ..
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2007, 01:44:43 AM »
Ok .. you guys got most of it right ..

The carrier appears to be a British carrier .. the island is on the wrong side. One of the ships is Brit Type 23 frigate, , another is a US Burke, and the one at the front I am unsure of ..

I was going to say that its black & white....when we all know at the time that photo was taken the world was in color by then...
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

brokemoto

• Crew
  • Respect: +180
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2007, 08:12:35 PM »
In this era of looking for wrecks, has anyone ever tried to find Akagi and Hiryu (and Soryu andKaga, for that matter), or is the Pacific Ocean too deep there to look?  Is there anything left to find.  Most accounts of the demise of those four, that I have read, state that they all exploded.

Japanese carriers of that era tended to be fast, but as a result, they could not stand up to as much abuse as their rivals (except maybe Shokaku, or whatever that one was that the Japanese started as a Yamato-type battleship but finished as a carrier)

POVC

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2007, 09:34:45 PM »
In this era of looking for wrecks, has anyone ever tried to find Akagi and Hiryu (and Soryu andKaga, for that matter), or is the Pacific Ocean too deep there to look?  Is there anything left to find.  Most accounts of the demise of those four, that I have read, state that they all exploded.

I believe Dr. Ballard (the guy who found the Titanic and the Bismarck) found them; I know he found and photographed the Yorktown, as there was a book done on it.

John, looks like the negative is reversed on the photo making all the ships mirror imaged...I will say MT is consistant, they used the same backwards photo for Navy Set #1.  Ships are from left to right a Brit Invincible "through deck cruiser", a US Burke class DDG, a MEKO class frigate, and a Brit Type 23 FF.  MEKO frigates were a German design with modular weapons and sensors; the one shown could be Turkish, Greek or Australian since all three countries have similar ships fitted with a US 5"/54 gun.  My guess is it's probably a Turkish ship and the photo was shot in the Mediteranian.

Tim

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2875
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2007, 09:47:45 PM »
Thanks .. I couldn't pin the MEKO down .. gotta remember, its been 12 years since I last went to sea :(

« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 09:58:47 PM by John »