Author Topic: show us how far you've come!  (Read 5886 times)

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
Re: show us how far you've come!
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2007, 02:44:12 AM »
I've made a lot of progress over the years.

is that going to be dcc?

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2007, 08:51:55 AM »
Rich, two questions:

How deep is that scene, and what tricks are you using to make it look even deeper?

How is the background done?

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2007, 09:04:56 AM »
Nice to see
those much needed 82degree crossings getting the attention they deserve...
Support fine modeling

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2007, 09:07:22 AM »
Rich
Sorry to see the 'shrink ray' setting was on vertical only when you applied it to those buildings...
Support fine modeling

randgust

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2007, 09:09:51 AM »
This is, by best guess, about 1978 - given the Rapido couplers - on the first Santa Fe 3x6 layout:

Camera was an Argus rangefinder C-4 with a macro lens on it. If you study that shot, you'll discover that there is NO PLACE where it is exactly in focus, and if you wonder how that is possible, that's because the 'WHAM' forcal plane shutter of the Argus always rattled the camera.  Cable release? A what?

This is a couple years ago, pretty much the same idea on the current layout:

What I like about this shot is that the subject - the sand tower and the GP - is the same sand tower in the first 1978 photo.  This is by no means my best current shot (particularly on the lighting) but it's probably the best combination contrast of photos and modeling I've got, given the same subject - almost 30 years apart.  

I took so few pictures of the early layout.... I think most were thrown out in disgust!

Rich that shot is so outstanding..... But I think I can claim at least to be MUCH WORSE when I started, if not much better today!!!

« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 09:31:54 AM by randgust »

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5402
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2007, 10:33:55 AM »
I was rooting around in the attic yesterday and found these old gems...  This one dates back to mid to late 80's.

It's a photo module of sorts, I had a piece of plywood and some foam...  The bridge is a kitbashed Atlas Viaduct kit.  I was obviously influenced by things I'd seen on my trips to the middle division.  The engines are both Atlas, the RS-3 was brand new, and the GP-30 was the old Roco model that I had updated with a Kato drive by JnJ.  The paint scheme was the first I'd come up with for the Laurel Valley.  Red ends and cabs, black carbody, and a yellow band down the middle with black press-type lettering.

Looking a bit further back...

This goes back to 1984-5. We had just gotten married, and were living in the basement at my parents' house. This was a 2x4 switching module, loosely based on Ntrak (although admittedly non-compliant). All of the structures, including the model of the WM Gettysburg station, were made out of card stock with photocopied windows. If you look closely on the left side, you'll see the Pep Boys store, with a sign I cut from a match book cover.

Finally, one of the few photos that turned out reasonably well in the "pre-digital" era...

I remember having this diorama (the same as in the first shot) at our old apartment shortly after we got married.  That was 1986-89. The bridge was modified from a couple of Atlas Viaduct kits, and the engines are both Bachmann Crapmasters that I painted... with a brush... Sorry... Again, it was a long time ago!

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Ntrainz1

• Crew
  • Respect: +87
    • blog
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2007, 08:17:50 PM »
Shelf switching layout from about 1975..

ryourstone

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2007, 09:02:19 PM »
Rich, two questions:

How deep is that scene, and what tricks are you using to make it look even deeper?

How is the background done?

No more than 18" total. The trick is to get really close to the main subject and don't use any zoom, which tends to flatten the scene.

In the first attempt, I scanned a picture from a book and propped it up as a temporary backdrop. By the second time, I just added it digitally. I use a piece of white foamcore as a backdrop to make this easy.

-Rich