Author Topic: Show us your favorite freight car...  (Read 5308 times)

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
Re: Show us your favorite freight car...
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2007, 10:58:23 PM »
I always liked the Department of Defense's Advanced Video Camera Support System (AVCSS):

Looks like something out of War of the Worlds.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

MrKLUKE

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2007, 01:53:14 AM »
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 11:46:38 AM by MrKLUKE »

SAH

• Crew
  • Respect: +1259
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2007, 05:08:34 PM »
And then, the chlorine car:

Done it - Sort of.   See front car below.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Keep in mind I was about 12 years old when I built it.  Saw one featured in the old "Dollar Car" series by Eric Stevens in MR in my Dad's collection of magazines from the 50's.  Didn't own a scale rule.  Didn't even know what one was.  Such blissful days.

Steve

3rdrail

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2007, 06:24:02 PM »
  Saw one featured in the old "Dollar Car" series by Eric Stevens in MR in my Dad's collection of magazines from the 50's.  Didn't own a scale rule.  Didn't even know what one was.  Such blissful days.

Steve

LOL. Steve, I have a copy of that article and have started to scratchbuild the car out of brass. Love the fact that brake rigging and parts are dismissed with "you can add brake detail if so desired" in Eric Stevens' article.

Like I told Bill Wischler of Walthers at a Prototype Rails meet, "three lumps on the underframe for brakes don't cut it in N scale anymore!"

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2007, 09:01:27 AM »
My favorite freight cars are boxcars.  Modern, graffiti-laden boxcars.

SAH

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2007, 05:35:49 PM »
One of my all time favorites, 'cause it's a tank car and has lots of "stuff" hanging all over it.   :)

I think I recall seeing one of these done in N scale by someone no?  Someone on this forum?

Regarding the chlorine car.  It's kind of wierd how events converge.  I purchased a photo of a Columbia Southern Chemical Co chlorine car at the AC&YHS meet last year.  Same type 3rdrail posted.  The AC&Y served the plant via the ABB (Akron Barberton Belt) RR.  I thought "Great - The perfect rational to move it up on the "to do" list.  Then within a span of 2 mons:

1)  I order the Eric Stevens article from KML
2)  I see the ad for the brass model (HO) in RMC
3)  The convention issue of Scale Rails has drawings of the car (I'm an affiliate member so don't normally get the mag, making the fact it showed up in that issue even stranger.)
4)  My order from KML arrives.
5)  3rdrail posts the photo and says he's building one.

I guess I'm being told I should build one.

How are you going to do the chlorine cannisters 3rdrail?

Steve

3rdrail

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2007, 08:50:08 PM »

Regarding the chlorine car.  It's kind of wierd how events converge.  I purchased a photo of a Columbia Southern Chemical Co chlorine car at the AC&YHS meet last year.  Same type 3rdrail posted.  The AC&Y served the plant via the ABB (Akron Barberton Belt) RR.  I thought "Great - The perfect rational to move it up on the "to do" list.  Then within a span of 2 mons:

1)  I order the Eric Stevens article from KML
2)  I see the ad for the brass model (HO) in RMC
3)  The convention issue of Scale Rails has drawings of the car (I'm an affiliate member so don't normally get the mag, making the fact it showed up in that issue even stranger.)
4)  My order from KML arrives.
5)  3rdrail posts the photo and says he's building one.

I guess I'm being told I should build one.

How are you going to do the chlorine cannisters 3rdrail?
Steve

I plan to use 3/16" aluminum tubing, that's 30" in N scale - close enough for government work. Still pondering ends, possibly aluminum foil over a wood plug.

SAH

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2007, 11:58:24 AM »

I plan to use 3/16" aluminum tubing, that's 30" in N scale - close enough for government work. Still pondering ends, possibly aluminum foil over a wood plug.

I've considered looking at decorative brad heads, inserted into the end of the cylinder.  Or maybe a plastic ball.  Map pin head?  The trick will be finding the right diameter to match the ID of the tube.  Paw through the specialty fastener shelves at a well stocked hardware store or maybe the bead craft section of a craft shop.  I'm always looking at stuff not for what it is, but what it might become. 

Steve