Author Topic: Anyone used the "new" N Scale Architect brick sheet?  (Read 4240 times)

sparky

Anyone used the "new" N Scale Architect brick sheet?
« on: March 15, 2007, 05:09:44 PM »
I've heard that The N Scale Architect has a new, more true to scale N brick sheet (as compared to the previous offering that was labeled HO/N).  I went to their web site and I don't see any "new" brick sheet mentioned.  Has anyone here used the "new" version yet?  If so, how is it to work with?  Does it cut decently?  I've used other brick sheet in the past that was kind of "soapy" and didn't cut or glue well.  Pictures would be greatly appreciated if you have them.

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: Anyone used the "new" N Scale Architect brick sheet?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 05:42:22 PM »
The new version is used on the MG tower kit. It is easy to work with and glues pretty well. I was happy with it.

Talk to Russ directly, I don't think he has got a chance to add the new N scale tooled stuff yet.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 05:52:13 PM »
Too bad these don't come a bit smaller:
http://www.miniaturziegel.de/Ziegel.xhtml

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

sparky

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 06:04:31 PM »

Not for me.  That's exactly  the kind of thing that would push me right over the edge, because I think I would actually try to build something brick by brick. ::)

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 06:30:26 PM »
I heard the new brick sheets look great, but are something like $19.00 for 2 sheets.

http://www.the-n-arch.com/Model%20Builders.htm

Haven't seen it myself yet.

sparky

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 06:37:29 PM »
Chris-

Unfortunately they don't have the new sheets on the website yet.  You also get two 11" X 14" sheets, so on a price per square inch basis, it's right in line with Plastruct.  Walthers web site lists the "N/Z" brick sheet as being in stock.  I'm assuming this is the new one.  I'm about 1/2 hour away from Walthers' showroom- I might see if I can stop in there and look at the brick sheet in the next week or so...

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1242
    • Modutrak
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 09:31:35 AM »

Not for me.  That's exactly  the kind of thing that would push me right over the edge, because I think I would actually try to build something brick by brick. ::)

Charlie Vlk built the patterns for the V-Line N scale version of Rocky's Tavern brick-by-brick.  So it can, and has, been done in N scale... :o

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 01:21:25 PM »
Sparky,

I have some of the new NSA sheets, and the brick is well cast. The sheet's nice and thin too. There's an occassional scar line in the casting, but it's not uniform and it's minimal, so will probably become less obvious with paint and weathering. The problem is, I haven't been able to play with it yet, as I am living in temporary quarters right now and my tools and modeling projects are all in storage.

Bryan
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

160pennsy

• Crew
  • Respect: +183
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 03:17:12 PM »

Charlie Vlk built the patterns for the V-Line N scale version of Rocky's Tavern brick-by-brick.  So it can, and has, been done in N scale... :o

Hey....I built one of those...really tiny. Had to dig it out of storage (the large vertical sign & bracing have broken off somehow?) I remember finding this rare kit 7-8 years ago, tucked away on some shelf in a Seattle, WA hobby shop. Too bad it's not available or currently in production.

Paul Ohegyi
Current Member
https://nrmrc.org/

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 04:47:31 PM »
I forgot to mention in my earlier email that the NSA brick sheet measurement's are a little misleading. There about a 3/4" non-molded border around the actual brick molding, so the usable surface is smaller than what is stated. It's still nice stuff though. I hope to get working on a project using it this weekend and, if I do, will try to post photos next week.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1242
    • Modutrak
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 08:39:06 AM »
Nice job on the tavern!

Last I heard, there were still some of the tavern castings sitting in Charlie's basement.  He's out of roofs and detail parts, but those are easy enough to add.  I'd contact him if anyone is looking for one.  It's a neat little structure.

160pennsy

• Crew
  • Respect: +183
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 03:29:54 PM »
Last I heard, there were still some of the tavern castings sitting in Charlie's basement.  He's out of roofs and detail parts, but those are easy enough to add.  I'd contact him if anyone is looking for one.  It's a neat little structure.

Sparky,

Didn't mean to hijack your thread, just responding to Mike's comment re: Rocky's Tavern. I'm waiting to see someone post photos of the newer n-scale brick sheet with possibly some other N-scale item, in the frame as a scale reference. If anyone still has any Holgate & Reynolds brick sheet leftover...that's what I use as my "gold-standard " n-scale brick material.

Mike Skibbe,

Maybe moving Rocky's Tavern to a separate topic might spark additional interest in this kit?
Either way please PM me with contact info on V-Line.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 09:13:45 AM by 160pennsy »
Paul Ohegyi
Current Member
https://nrmrc.org/