Author Topic: What's up with Polly Scale?  (Read 4255 times)

Erik W

• Crew
  • Respect: +715
What's up with Polly Scale?
« on: February 24, 2007, 05:32:32 PM »
Check this out.  These are supposed to be the same color paint.  Both were bought recently within a few months of each other.  They are definitely not the same color.  I actually have a couple of other colors that are different as well.  Anyone else notice this with Polly Scale paints lately?  I emailed the photos to Testors.  I'm curious as to what they'll say.  Frankly, this is a bit disconcerting. 

Erik

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
Re: What's up with Polly Scale?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 05:46:30 PM »
Show me a railroad that doesn't have many hues and or faded shades to their loco roster , and I will show you a one horse roster .

Richie Dost

Erik W

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 05:55:23 PM »
Show me a railroad that doesn't have many hues and or faded shades to their loco roster , and I will show you a one horse roster .
True, but these colors are so far off, one is completely yellow while one is orange (the correct one).  The picture doesn't do it justice.  If they were both different shades of the same color that would be one thing.

Erik

3rdrail

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 06:10:51 PM »
See: http://forum.atlasrr.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=34107

Same song, different verse - but same railroad!

bsoplinger

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 10:26:48 PM »
What's most interesting is the F414257 next to the UPC label. I thought those were lot numbers. Which means you're talking changes in hue within the same batch of paint.

I'd like but don't expect paint to stay the same from batch to batch, but within a lot, that's really bad quality control.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 12:07:09 PM »
Maybe ship those photos off to Floquil and see what happens .

Richie Dost

Erik W

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 12:35:00 PM »
Maybe ship those photos off to Floquil and see what happens .
I sent them an email yesterday with the photos.  Judging from the link to the thread that 3rdrail posted I imagine they may want the bottles back. 

When I first started modeling the D&RGW a few years ago I though it was funny how anal Rio Grande modelers were about their shades of yellow and orange (Ochre Yellow, Duco Imitation Gold, Aspen Gold, Kansas City Orange, Anschutz Orange, etc.) . . . sadly, I've become one of those people (which was a bitch trying to get the right Apsen Gold match for the F units when I worked at IMRC). 

Erik

Robbman

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 01:40:28 PM »
Message deleted
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 01:33:45 AM by Robbman »

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 04:14:44 PM »
sadly, I've become one of those people (which was a bitch trying to get the right Apsen Gold match for the F units when I worked at IMRC). 

Absolutely nothing
sad about it.  Doing things well means getting the smallest details right.  Something a lot of folks in the industry have forgotten.  Delivery dates can slip, prices may vary but the model endures long afterwards right or wrong...
Support fine modeling

Erik W

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 11:24:22 AM »
Here's the latest, Testors (the manufacturers of Polly Scale) asked me to send the two bottles back for analysis.  They will be sending me two bottles of the correct color in return.

Erik

Nelson

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2007, 01:22:02 PM »
What's most interesting is the F414257 next to the UPC label. I thought those were lot numbers. .

That is the just the part #, not a lot number.
http://www.testors.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=248

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2895
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2007, 01:25:46 PM »
Here's the latest, Testors (the manufacturers of Polly Scale) asked me to send the two bottles back for analysis.  They will be sending me two bottles of the correct color in return.

Erik

Its good to hear ..

Its not uncommon to have slight variations between batches .. when you paint a house, they ask you to mix all the paint together to get a consistent color .. I imagine the same would be true for the model industry.

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2007, 01:47:39 PM »
Colours will vary
but when was the last time you spent $500.00US per gallon for house paint?  I'm quoting a price from poor memory of a thread awhile back about the cost of model paint so the number may be somewhat inaccurate...
Support fine modeling

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2895
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2007, 01:57:59 PM »
After I pay the guy to strip and repaint it .. its about that much :(

DocGeoff

• Crew
  • DocGeoff in CC, TX
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2007, 05:00:23 PM »
I can almost guarantee that you'll never get a reply from Testors. They are too big for their britches, owning all the paint brands and acting like it. I ordered directly from them for six paint sticks (Floquil paint markers). I got some of the order and in a couple of weeks an email stating that back orders older than three months were automatically bounced. I could try re-ordering. Two weeks is no where near three months. I replied to the email with my order number, date of purchase and pointed out, nicely, that it was only two weeks since I ordered.  Anyone want to guess if I got a response?
Doc
Doc,
Imagineer, Owner & Operator
of the nearly famous "No Name RR