Author Topic: Advice on throttles...  (Read 2813 times)

tillsbury

Advice on throttles...
« on: February 07, 2007, 05:46:12 PM »
Hi guys.  It's about time I sorted myself out a shelf layout near my desk where trains happen.  Trouble is, the layout is in the train room a long way away (outside, indeed).  So I need another controller to work in here, for testing purposes etc.  I have a Radio Super Chief on the layout, which is great.  I would also like another controller for that, a simple one for visitors/kids.  Something like the UT4R, probably, which isn't perfect but at least is small and cheap.  I see that the Digitrax website says that the UT300R's are discontinued... that's a great shame - can you still get them?

Anyway, the quesion is should I get a Zephyr (for the shelf/testing area) and then another controller like a UT4 or a 300R (if I can find one), or should I get something else, say an Empire Builder which comes with a controller I can use on the main layout?  Or, if I can't sensibly sort out a 'free' extra controller just get a UT4R and then something perhaps completely different for the testing?  I only really need to set addresses and make the trains work enough to test them on the shelf -- no need for consisting or anything even remotely complex...

Cheers

Charles

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
Re: Advice on throttles...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 07:00:01 PM »
That's a tough one...

I would be inclined to buy the Zephyr and then whatever throttle you want, if you need an additional one.  (the Zephyr does include a throttle built in)  Then you could get another "R" throttle since you already have radio capability on the layout.  The UT4R would probably be OK for what you want, and the Zephyr/UT4R combo wouldn't break the bank.

Otherwise, the only other thing that would make sense to me would be another Chief Radio....I wouldn't buy an Empire Builder period and I wouldn't buy a non-radio throttle.  The Chief would be worth the extra bucks for CV readback vs. the EB, and more importantly the ability to have a backup unit in case your layout Chief goes down.

Of course, if you are OK with used equipment that might be the best option.  Get your 300R and whatever command station.

Anyway, my two cents...
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 09:25:05 PM »
UT4R
for the layout and visitors.  Add a UP5 and wire it up so you can plug in and use the advanced throttle reliably at the bench for programming.  The cost of a UR91 for the workroom seems impractical from an operational standpoint and reliability during programming trumps all else, at least in my feeble mind.

Perhaps that loco-net could also make a dispatching centre of your railway on operation nights...
Support fine modeling

Roger Holmes

• Crew
  • Respect: +580
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 11:55:46 AM »
My life (at least my model railroading life) is so much easier now that I bought a Zephyr for my workbench.  My workbench is in a converted bedroom on the second floor and my layout is in the basement with a radio Super Chief.  I was forever running up and down the stairs tweaking installations.  Main selling point is that you can read back CV's on the Zephyr.  I have a programming track and test track on the workbench.

Only downside is that I've gain 15# from lack of excercise ::)
Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 12:08:07 PM »
Roger, you just gave me a good idea...maybe you should power your Zephyr from an exercise bike!

Then it could be "World's Greatest Hobby/Exercise"!!!   ;D
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 03:31:26 PM »
oooh, I thought this was about DC throttles. :(

Roger Holmes

• Crew
  • Respect: +580
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 12:10:14 AM »
Thanks, Doug.  I'd probably lose 10 of those pounds just moving the boxes covering the exercise bike :-[
Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

asciibaron

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
    • Steve's Happy Fun Time IntarWebs
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 11:46:50 AM »
fear not NandW...

this is what i use on my HO switching lsyout -powered by a cheap toy train power pack AC out.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/kstapleton3/851.HTM

good and cheap.

-steve
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 12:12:02 PM by asciibaron »
Quote from: Chris333
How long will it be before they show us how to add DCC to a tree?

tillsbury

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 03:10:55 PM »
thanks all...  I will probably go for the Zephyr and UT4R then...  I suppose the main question was whether there was an alternative to the Zephyr for a cheap controller but there's only so far you want to go downmarket.  Another super chief sounds a bit overkill, and the UT400R throttle although great to use is a bit much for visitors and three-year-olds! :-)

Charles